Need textured paint for cottage walls

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
End2end

Need textured paint for cottage walls

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 am

I have an idea but I am not sure how to implement it.
Eventually I'd like some proper looking Cornish cottages on my layout with textured outer walls like these...

I have searched the forum but only found mention of using textured paint for roads and the like not complete buildings.
My idea is to use LINKA tiles to build the building but then cover the outer walls with white textured paint to give the effect.
So can someone point me in the correct direction for something that would work in OO scale or alternatives that could work please?
And any application methods that you have tried and worked.

One thing I did notice when previewing this post.... They all have slate roofs!.... I must remember that! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

dan8400

Re: Need textured paint for cottage walls

Postby dan8400 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 am

Hi E2E,

I have been watching a lot of this guy's videos lately. He has some great tips and tricks to get good results but also to save a lot of money!

In this video he makes his own textured paints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTZ6QZV-z0

Hope this helps

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:52 am

My immediate thought would be to add kiln dried sand to your paint mix. I used that process when doing my turntable base to add some texture. It might look a bit too much like pebble dash so worth experimenting with first.

Paul

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 am

I can remember Artex or similar being suggested before but I'm not sure what "scale" it may come out at... With those top two I'd suggest a thin layer of Polyfilla suitably applied and worked on with a spatula with a thick layer of acrylic paint over would do better than a "rough" paint... All my Czech buildings have "painted" sides rather than stone or brick and I always find thickly applied acrylic gives a decent rough finish. I doubt paint alone would give you that sort of finish.
Last edited by b308 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 am

Talcum powder is another option.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 am

Not tried it personally but you can get Suede textured paint, ask google

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi E2E - I've used scouring powder in a thick emulsion paint, it needed a final wash of very thin colour (dirty water from washing a brush used for pink paint for this one) to tone down the white.
Fishermans.jpg
Fishermans.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 468 times

If you want to compare it to the prototype it's probably still on "Scottish Country Cottages" website, or in their book.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Just to consolidate your answers so far into one post...

Make it with sand, filler and paint - dan8400
Use kiln dried sand - carnehan
Polyfiller and acrylic paint - b308
Talcum powder - Lancastrian
Suede textured paint - Dave
Scouring powder in emulsion - Bufferstop

I've added your names so I know who to thank once I found the soloution that works for me.

This gives me some avenues to try. Thanks members. :)
I think the only materials from the list I have at the moment are the talcum power and some acrylic paint so I'll need to collect some of the other materials to try.
Although I'm only planning this out at this stage, It would pay dividends to buy a good stock of what I need as I hope to do a few cottages now the layout is going to expand with more room for scenery.

Excellent video link dan8400 and cheap and easy too! Thanks and good find. :D
Bufferstop your cottage looks ruddy brilliant! :o That's basically what I want the outside walls to look like.

I kicked myself after coming back from my Cornwall holiday last year forgetting to collect sand from all the different beaches I visited. :evil:
The nearest sandy beach to me would be roughly Littlehampton or Bognor Regis. The shingle beach doesn't stretch very far out and once the tide goes out there is masses of sand.
Just as a side note, I once saw a boy of about 12 walk right out to the end pier supports where puddles form when the tide goes out.
With a spade he "fished" out some large crabs caught in the puddle then walked all the way back and over to the fish and chip shop and sold them directly to the chip shop owner! Now thats FRESH!! :lol:

I was also near Frensham Ponds South of Guildford on Sunday. Even though very land locked the heathland there also sits on sand. Strange!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Scenery”