HUMBROL PAINT

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
stmartins

HUMBROL PAINT

Postby stmartins » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Having no need for repainting its been years since I used Humbrol paints. I had occasion to buy some Brunswick Green this week to touch up a wheel arch that the nameplate had come off. To say its rubbish is an understatement. Its like painting on water as it appears it now comes already thinned . After 4 coats of paint it still will not cover the brass nameplate. Is this thinned paint the norm now as I feel I am out of touch.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: HUMBROL PAINT

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Sadly yes, humbrol are useless now. I and many others have got tins years or even decades old that are even now much better than the new stuff.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Some of my paints are marked 94 ....... for 1994 purchase
OH how I wish they all were !!
Humbrol have changed the paint formulas and although it does for rough work
I'm having to use more Revell, which is marginally better. RailMatch is a pleasure
to use, but with the Post Office no longer accepting model paints obtaining is very
difficult.

What I think Humbrol have tried to do is speed-up drying time and use less toxic
constituent parts. In fact their Enamel behaves more like a cheap Acrylic. I was
reading up on paints and the effects of changing between saturated & unsaturated
fats could be a reason.

I also remembered that Acrylic paints dry from the upper surface downwards, while
a good enamel dries from the base towards the surface (Hence the slow drying time)
This is why good oil paints would flow out and flatten giving a better finish, Acrylic
keeps all the ridges from brush painting. All academic really as we can just use what's
available in the market place which generally is not good !!

Even Airfix paints from the early 1960's were better ...... although my skills then were
not so good.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

stmartins wrote:Is this thinned paint the norm now as I feel I am out of touch.

I noticed there's an airbrush symbol on the tin of very thin Humbrol I bought a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's only meant for airbrushes? Also noticed the colour on the lid in no way matches the colour of the paint, unless it dries a lot lighter.
Regards
Rob

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Dad-1 wrote:RailMatch is a pleasure
to use, but with the Post Office no longer accepting model paints obtaining is very
difficult.

I am probably totally wrong, but i thought they had changed the rules again so it was OK to post paint again? as i said probably totally wrong.

The trouble is Humbrol is the most widely available in shops and postage costs make getting others a pain.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 pm

You can improve the quality of Humbrol paint, from totally c**p to just c**p by getting a strong stirring rod and churning up the sludge in the bottom of the tin and stir it up. Once I've shifted whats in the bottom of the tin I use my power stirrer (a half straightened paper clip poked through a cardboard disk (splatter guard) and gripped in the chuck of my mini drill. Thirty seconds of that, switch off with stirrer still in the tin!!!!!, and it will have a bit more body and be closer to the sample on the lid. But I'm afraid it will still be c**p.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I use my power stirrer (a half straightened paper clip poked through a cardboard disk (splatter guard) and gripped in the chuck of my mini drill.

I actually use an old blunt drill bit for that, my theory being that the flutes will churn the sludge upwards into the paint. Works ok most of the time.
Regards
Rob

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm

As long as the drills old enough and you don't press on the bottom of the tin. :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:49 am

stmartins wrote:Having no need for repainting its been years since I used Humbrol paints. I had occasion to buy some Brunswick Green this week to touch up a wheel arch that the nameplate had come off. To say its rubbish is an understatement. Its like painting on water as it appears it now comes already thinned . After 4 coats of paint it still will not cover the brass nameplate. Is this thinned paint the norm now as I feel I am out of touch.

Agree with you there. I bought some recently for a Dapol rail bus conversion. The Humbrol Brunswick green seemed over thinned or not enough pigment in it.

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Most paints went pear shaped when the powers to be said you can't put lead in your paint any more, they don't seem to have found an equivalent that gives it the same body :!:

I have a good stock of the old Humbrol paints, but as the rest of you have said the new stuff just does not have any body especially the light colours.

Timbologist

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:45 pm

having had problems with paint over here, I decided to contact a paint company rep, who put me in touch with one of their (experts?) people, it seems the uk is not alone in the declining standards of paint, and it was not so much the removal of lead which wasnt used to bulk up the paint, it was used to make it flow better and give a smoother finish, the problems started when they cut costs by putting less pigment in the mix, pigments are the expensive part of paint apparently, thats why they now take several coats to do the same cover as they used to take one, the rest is just either solvent or clear lacquer, I sprayed a piece of glass with old pre 2000 blue, and also with a new (same make, same color) and there was a definite difference in density, it took 3 coats to bring it to the same opacity and stop the light from a led placed behind it, so it not just model paints, its all paints, and its an industry norm now to cut costs this way, sad but there doesnt seem to be any change coming soon, we use car spray cans for touch-ups, and they at least are still based on cellulose thinners (you can tell by the smell) and are still heavy in pigment, we still have oil based paints over here as the water based stuff just doesnt hold up to the climate here, (too hot and too cold) the only industry that totally uses water based paint now is the car makers, but the finishes are really bad, and the clear lacquer they cover it with peals off after a couple of years in the sun.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 pm

I've had the same problems. The pigment in recent Humbrol enamels seem to settle more quickly in the tin, than my remaining tins from the 1980-90's and the paint doesn't cover as well. I have however, discovered that the Expo stirring tool http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/image ... 708-00.jpg used thoroughly, with all the pigment scraped up from the bottom, can make quite a difference. I thought I was stirring paint well enough before, using old nail and wooden sticks, but I clearly wasn't :( .
Gerald H - alternative modeller :)

My layout: viewtopic.php?t=28854

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 pm

re Dad-1's and alex3410 posts above regarding paints through the post, with my own needs in view I checked with Gaugemaster who informed me that enamels can be sent through the post to Mainland UK addresses, but not overseas because of the fire risk, though non-inflammable acrylics are acceptable.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks for that nugget of information about postage of paints Firefly16. :wink:
Good to know.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

stmartins

Postby stmartins » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks every one for the feed back I was beginning to think the paint had gone off. I managed to borrow some Brunswick Green from a friend ( luckily a real hoarder) and despite its age of around 10 years old the colour match was perfect and the paint itself was really thick and covered the nameplate smoothly and one coat. Despite having always used Humbrol for 40 or so years I have sadly bought my last "little pot"

Return to “Scenery”