Need to surface a road ...

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
muggins

Need to surface a road ...

Postby muggins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Well, I've searched this forum but it rather looks like I'm making things a bit awkward by not being able to spray anything ... :roll:

So, I'd welcome ideas for a 4mm to the foot road surface which doesn't involve spraying. Just yer bog-standard 1950's or so spec small town/big village two-way road. No white line or anything, just a 2ft length of road with a pavement each side of it.

This is to go onto a 3mm ply base, and as I'm just about skint at the moment, the less I need to buy specially the better!

Any ideas please chaps?

b308

Re: Need to surface a road ...

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Thin card? Matt black or dark grey surface. Metcalf I think do pavements which would be ok after weathering...

Remember roads aren't flat, they slope down on each side for drainage.

muggins

Postby muggins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:18 pm

The problem I have with card or for that matter sandpaper is that when I used them years ago, the end result was perfect. It didn't look anything like a real road. Maybe I should have stuck them down on top of a somewhat uneven surface, in which case the question would be how to make such a surface ...

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Grey paint (not too dark) on top of thin card, sprinkle pepper or talc into the surface while still wet to vary the texture, then a couple of washes of darker/browner grey to vary the colour a bit. Or ground up chalk pastel, dusting of powder paint etc, anything to add subtle tone.

I wouldn't make the surface deliberately uneven (other than adding the camber as described earlier), it's one of those things like sagging rooflines and 'industrial' track where it's very easy to just make it look badly modelled.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Sandpaper is the easiest, look for some with a greyish colour, roads are definitely not black. Once it's stuck down get to work on it with whatever you have to hand, first off is your Peco track rubber, on its side dragged along to leave what look like tyre tracks. Go and look at a road somewhere, even take a piccy or two so you have something to work towards. Get some finer black wet and dry paper, lay a hand cut strip of it across the road, stick it down and run a thin bead of shiny black paint along the joins. Hey presto a reinstatement scar, or do a couple of rectangular black patches where the council have cut out and filled a pothole or two. Patch of oil in front of the bus stop, the beauty is if you don't like the end result, poke a blade under the end of it and you can pull it up and try a different way, but I don't think you'll need to.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm not sure about the covering but for the camber how about a thin wide peice of balsa sanded at the edges to give the camber?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

muggins

Postby muggins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Many thanks gents. Maybe I'll try again this time round with the abrasive paper. Is there a magic trick to disguise the joint between two sheets butted together?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:10 pm

The picture below shows my efforts with 800 grade grey sandpaper. This section took three sheets to complete. The paper was glued down with PVA and butted against each other carefully to eliminate joins. Once dry, rub the surface with more sandpaper and blend using your fingers. Hope that helps a bit.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/carne ... sort=3&o=0

Paul

muggins

Postby muggins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for that Paul. How did you do your pavements?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:42 pm

The pavements are 2mm mount board. The paving slabs and kerbs were measured and marked out in pencil and then scribed with a suitable tool - in my case a 4" nail - painted a grey colour using a Johnstones test pot and finally coal dust brushed and rubbed in to the recesses.

Paul

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Looking at those photos reminds me, dirt tends to collect in the gutters and don't forget drains and manhole covers if it is in a model of a town, out in the country where I tend to model neither of those two are very common...

Nicely done, Paul, that's the best I've seen using that stuff, mine are nowhere near as good!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks b308. There were glaring omissions from that surface when building it such as gutters and covers and one of many reasons it has gone to the Great Railway in the sky to make way for a rebuild. With regards to dirt, Jim-SW of this very parish suggests using pepper to represent that detritus found gathered at kerb edges.

Paul

muggins

Postby muggins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Good stuff, gents. Thank you :)

Return to “Scenery”