Track weathering

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
FergusK

Track weathering

Postby FergusK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi,

I've been reading a few things on track weathering, and I am looking to get as close a match as I can to German railways - a deep brown/rust look.

Any ideas as to what paints/mix of paint would be best?

Thanks
Ferg

End2end

Re: Track weathering

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Do you have any photos you could reference? Perhaps posting one on here would give a good deinfinition or direction to be pointed to.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Ferg,

My first comment would be to stay away from any colour that has 'rust' in its title as they are generally to bright.

My weapon of choice are cheap kids acrylics, I put a bit of any dark brown colour and black on something like a Pringles crisp lid and just mix it with the brush and put it straight on the rail side.

as close a match as I can to German railways

There is no one colour right across the country. The colour of the rails in industrial Hamburg cannot possibly be the same as down in the clean air of Bavaria.

FergusK

Postby FergusK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I can't seem to get a link to the photos I took from Berlin :(

I'll keep trying! Thanks for the replies so far.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Many are in deep shade so you simply can't see the rails !!
From the best it looks like a medium grey, no trace of rust, or
even earthy colours.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:59 am

I am just looking at this thread. Here is a photograph of the track on the Molli Train in Northern Germany. Does it help in any way?
SAM_0584.JPG
SAM_0584.JPG (105.64 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

FergusK

Postby FergusK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for the feedback guys - very helpful :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 am

That's a great picture for demonstrating the problem we have Mr G. There are apparently two distinct shades of muck on the sides of the rails, but if you follow the curve of each rail you can see it blending from one shade to the other.
Conclusion :- the shade you see depends on the angle of the surface in relation to your position and that of the sun. So it's also going to vary with the time of day and probably the weather as well. Now lets see someone model that effect :twisted:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 am

Also depends on the weather... Bright sunlight gives a very different hue to overcast and if it's been raining then dark brown is the colour...

Then there's the problem of how long the track has been down, older track tends to be darker and the sleepers dirtier...

How much it is used, well used track gains drops of oil which darkens the look...

Then the colour of the ballast used...

I would agree with Dave, avoid the "rust" paints unless you add some black to them!

For an average aged track (not newly laid) I just tend to lightly spray the whole lot with "track dirt" colour (a mid-dark brown) to tone down the rail and get rid of the plastic look the sleepers have... Best done before ballasting unless you want the ballast to be mucky as well!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Bufferstop wrote:That's a great picture for demonstrating the problem we have Mr G. There are apparently two distinct shades of muck on the sides of the rails, but if you follow the curve of each rail you can see it blending from one shade to the other.
Conclusion :- the shade you see depends on the angle of the surface in relation to your position and that of the sun. So it's also going to vary with the time of day and probably the weather as well. Now lets see someone model that effect :twisted:

Glad it helps.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Scenery”