Which ORIGINAL Manufacturer of Building is This ?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Bufferstop

Re: Which ORIGINAL Manufacturer of Building is This ?

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 am

Having had time to peruse that list and compare the designs with those in the Airfix/Dapol range, I think they are from different but very similar tooling. Take the thatched cottage, the Airfix version never had the lean-to at either end, the walls which would have been covered by them have timber frame detail. I have a clear memory of the exposed base of the chimney having a small burnt spot where I investigated smoke production methods. The thatched roof looks similar in its construction, but I'd say it was a copy of the design. The Church seems to have detail differences as well. At the time of their introduction by Airfix it was an independent company, not likely to have acquired tooling from a Line's Bros subsidiary. Not impossible but unlikely. Models introduced by Dapol, (there are a few) are a different matter, buying up discarded tooling seems to have been their speciality.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:41 am

Surprised no-one has put this link up, the website is a gold mine for all things Triang!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/indModelLand.html

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:06 pm

b308: a whole range of things that passed me by, or never made it to my local model shop when I was a lad.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Had I not seen them in the magazines I'd not have known about the "Real Estate" range I doubt I'd been aware of them and Model land past me by completely. One thing I never did was buy the Triang and HD catalogues.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:08 am

I can vaguely remember some of the items, I assume some continues into the mid/late 60s when i started buying the TH catalogues... Some of them actually look quite good models!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:43 am

I suspect the indifference came from dealers who could make more from the sale of decidedly British Superquick and later Metcalfe card kits.

Return to “Scenery”