Printing on card

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
johnco

Printing on card

Postby johnco » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:31 am

I have prepared some CAD drawings on my computer in order to print on to card which will be cut out to produce a specific model at 4mm to the ft.
Unfortunately my ink jet printer cannot handle card much heavier than 250gpsm and the model produced from the print turns out to be a little flimsy using this card.
I am reluctant to print on paper, then stick the print on to card and then cut out and would prefer it if I could somehow transfer the image from a paper copy on to a stouter cardboard so that it can be directly cut out.
Any ideas or sensible suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks

alex3410

Re: Printing on card

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:36 am

the normal method is as you say to print on paper and stick the paper to card.

another option may be to see if a local stationary store (staples?) might be able to print directly onto card?

our office printer will only take sheets up to ~ 300gsm and even then its incredibly picky about it :roll: but staples etc are likely to have something a bit more industrial - if you don't have a staples etc close look at printers instead as they may take on smaller jobs

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Any way you could photocopy from the original onto a thick piece of card ? Just a possible suggestion.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:33 pm

On ebay you can get a4 sticker sheets.
Print on that and stick to card
Never enough time...........

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:51 pm

pointstaken wrote:Any way you could photocopy from the original onto a thick piece of card ? Just a possible suggestion.
Dennis

I've spent long enough around photo copiers to know they can be even pickier than printers. I prefer to laminate two or more sheets of 180-220gsm card, the centre layer having enlarged window openings with the glazing let in. For modern buildings make the shell out of acrylic sheet and overlay it with printed wall finishes where needed.
To reduce the amount of window cutting out that I have to do, I splashe£ out on a Silhouette Cameo cutter. It works just like the x/y pen plotters we had in the drawing office, it just has a knife point instead of a pen.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Another way around this is to keep your eyes open for an old bubble-jet that works, I have an old BJC 5100, because it will take really thick card (I usually use 1/16th inch) through the back horizontal feed, it also does up to A3 size, I suppose any printer that will do heavyweight envelopes through a flat back feed will do, I have a modern printer, but as it bends the paper almost 90 degree's it wont do the card other than light stock, I use the 5100 for all my card work, and what amazes me is canon still make the cartridges! so far I havnt had to laminate any card structures, as my problem is a hot damp climate, I simply spray them with a matt coat of varnish, this seems to stop any warping I used to get.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 am

I use a Canon A3+ printer with an angled top feed. It can be persuaded to feed quite thick stock, one sheet only in the hopper, by apply a gentle push to the tail end. There's about a 30° bend in the path. Both the laser and the all in one start with a 180° turn.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Steve1414

Postby Steve1414 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Your model will be lots stronger if it was made from several layers of thin card rather than one thick one. If you prepared the drawings it is so easy to make plain blanks to fit inside the original outer. Once inner walls and floors are fitted you will have a strong model that will last for years.

Return to “Scenery”