Problem with attaching Backscene

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
OtleySteamer

Problem with attaching Backscene

Postby OtleySteamer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 am

I made a pig's ear of gluing one of the id Backscenes to the curved plywood backdrop to my layout (its about 18 foot long). So having ruined one set I am determined not to repeat the mistake. Just to add to the challenge I have to reach over the top of the 4foot wide layout to do this which is awkward to say the least (I know I should have done this first).
My plan is to first glue the backscene onto some stiffer card or semi-rigid plastic away from the layout and then attach this to the plywood. So far I can't source a suitable roll of any material (other than corrugated cardboard).
Anyone have any suggestions?

carnehan

Re: Problem with attaching Backscene

Postby carnehan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:39 am

The only stiffer type of material I can think of might be an off cut from a roll of vinyl floor material. Whether this would have the desired surface to allow the bonding of the backscene is another question though. If it does bond, it would remain a fairly unwieldy item to lift over and fix to the back of your layout.

Paul

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:42 am

I too made a bit of a mess when gluing the ID Backscenes to my corners. I used 3mm MDF (not sure what it's called in England) for the curve, but I should have glued it on first and then fixed the whole lot up.

The point of the post is to tell you that the 3mm MDF (medium density fibreboard) also known as Craftwood is quite bendable if you take it steady.

The manufacturers recommend spray adhesive to fix, but you have to be right first time, which will be a lot easier if you put it on away from the layout.
Pete.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:24 pm

I would advise sticking the backscene to some good quality cartridge paper which have be bought from WH Smiths or the Works using a glue stick, then stick the cartridge paper to the wood using PVA. This avoids getting the air bubbles that are inevitable when the thinner paper gets wet.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:21 am

Although I agree with the very good idea of sticking them to cartridge paper, I just can't see how the air gets in when you smooth the paper down absolutely smooth. :x
Pete.

OtleySteamer

Postby OtleySteamer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks for those ideas. I am going to go with 3mm mdf from Wickes. The cartridge paper on a roll looks expensive (Fabriano Accademia Roll 200gsm 1.5 x 10m £24.95) - but maybe there is something cheaper somewhere out there..

Return to “Scenery”