Weathering rust

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
heda

Weathering rust

Postby heda » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:43 am

I've dabbled in the art of weathering rust using sea salt, this is the result, if you Google model weathering using salt there are a lot of links or I can post a step by step guide if it is of interest.

Meanwhile, and I know this has been asked umpteen times before, could some one give me an 'idiots guide to uploading pictures from Photobucket.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... 24/021.jpg

Dave

Bufferstop

Re: Weathering rust

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:55 am

heda wrote:Meanwhile, and I know this has been asked umpteen times before, could some one give me an 'idiots guide to uploading pictures from Photobucket.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... 24/021.jpg

Dave

Photobucket keep making minor changes to the look of their site which make a definitive set of instructions quickly become outdated. So here is the process in principals only.
First upload the image from your computer to your PB account, -
Navigate your way past the latest bunch of offers and suggestions of things to do with your image.
If you haven't already adjusted the size, use the on-line edit function to resize. (800x600) is reasonably comfortable to view on NRM in most browsers, too big and it extends off screen and moderators get grumpy!

To put your photo into a post -
have Photobucket open in one window or tab and the PHPBB editor open in another
Navigate around PB to the screen which gives your image on the left and a dialogue with four possible links on the right.
select IMG, the IMG field will display "copied"

Switch to the editor
put the cursor at the point where you want the image to appear
Press Ctrl/V to paste the link into your post. You will get two lines of text.
Left as they are you will get the image appearing in your post - but a user clicking on it will be able to scroll through other images.
To prevent this delete the first line up to but not including {IMG} then delete the [/url] from the end of the second line
You will be left with a line that looks like this but starting with a [
img]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu226/heda224/021.jpg[/img]
and does this

The best thing to do is upload some images to Photobucket when you aren't creating a post and play around using the on-line editor, also renaming and organising the images. I guarantee they will change something within six months and we'll all have to work it out again. Once you are happy with that bit try copying the links into the PHPBB editor, you can preview to see what it looks like before submitting the post.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

heda

Postby heda » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

Many Thank Bufferstop, I'll have a play. I want to post some pictures of my layout when I master photo uploading

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:13 pm

If I'm going to use Images I've already uploaded, I find it's quicker to open a page in Notepad and copy the links into it as I find the pictures on PB. I can make cryptic notes as to what they are. Save it as a TXT file then open it and copy the ones I want as I write the post, but it does require a bit of organised thinking to do it, which often leaves me searching, copying and writing all at the same time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

heda

Postby heda » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Think I've got it, so another two pictures of the rusty rat rod
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Easy now I know how, I shall sort out some pictures of my layout to date and post them in a few days

Thanks again Bufferstop

Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 pm

I used real rust on home made wagon bodies made from rusty baked bean tin. They have been roughly successful. The only issue is they do seem to be too realistic in they are too rusty. They've not quite rusted through yet but I do need to re-attach one of the bodies to the chassis.

Return to “Scenery”