Static Grass

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Martyn

Static Grass

Postby Martyn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Everyone I would like to ask how everyone is getting on with Static Grass, and the applicators that are out there. Are you struggling with second third coats, finding it hard to choose what colours and seasons to go for. I would like to help, Im a part of WWS Scenery Manufacturer that produces one of the largest ranges of Static Grass in Europe. BUT dont worry all I would like to do is offer help and advise on Static Grassing.

So if you have any questions or wish to share experiences or photos please join in.

Thanks Martyn
Attachments
test .jpg
test .jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

b308

Re: Static Grass

Postby b308 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

I think the best description of my efforts is that I am "getting there"! As usual with all models it's a question of working out what size grass to use in each case, I model in 1:120 and if I used true scale grass lengths it just wouldn't look right so tend to go for slightly bigger sizes...

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:19 am

That looks good, the trick is to multilayer, I normally say for oo gauge people is 2mm grass is your basing grass, 4 & 6mm is a detailing grass and 10 12mm are your finishing grass. The secret is in the gluing. Make sure you leave some of the under grass showing through, and go for big colour changes. Grass is not green its all types of colours Mark and I spent years driving around looking at the colours of fields and mountains (which we have a couple in Wales) trying to get the colours so you guys dont have to. I always say If you make a mistake it turns into a great idea. Meaning you can not make a mistake, if you squash it down go over it with a lighter colour it will look great.

I do Have Tutorials on the web, up to you if you want to have a look or give me a ring Im happy to help 01792 864250

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 am

Just to say guys we do tutorials by request. So if you stuck or would like to see how it looks let us know and I will film as I do it for you and put on youtube and the web. Drop us an email or give us a ring. Id be more than happy to help

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:14 pm

What are the preparations before applying static grass!

I have a ply base board, do I need to prepare the surface?
Do people paint it brown or green?
Do people apply a scatter first?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:11 pm

I've found that grassing over buff Manilla paper sacks gives a natural effect where it shows through in the patches where the grass has worn thin. Cutting the paper sacks into strips about 2" wide and laid criss-cross in two or three layers with plenty of PVA, once hardened is particularly strong, and not subject to the cracking you can get in plaster. It's strong enough to stand up to the cat walking over it, and be cut into if I want to put in an extra building. I'm still using my £2 fly-swat/tea-strainer prototype and it copes ok with the sort of areas I need to do. It wouldn't cope with an exhibition sized layout though.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Scenery”