Tunnel Mouth issue

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
craigj1303

Tunnel Mouth issue

Postby craigj1303 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi All

I need to build a tunnel under a hillside for my layout. I am going to use polystyrene I think.

So I bought some tunnel mouths initially, with the intention of building around them. I placed them on my layout roughly where I need them and stood them up. When I ran my locos around they clipped the side of the tunnel mouth every time. No matter how I positioned them, they would clip either one side or the other.

They were 12.5cm wide so I am quite sure they are "double track" tunnel mouths.

My layout is OO guage and I used Hornby track. The tunnel covers the double track part of an oval and is on the bend. Neither end of the tunnel is on a straight. Outer oval is 3rd radius curves, inner is 2nd radius.

What are my options here? Does anybody know of any double track mouths that are more than 12.5cm width. I reckon I need at least 13cm wide.

b308

Re: Tunnel Mouth issue

Postby b308 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:52 pm

You could cut them in half at the top of the arch, move the sides out until it clears and then make some sort of filler.

Or you could use a double track one for a single track.

Or you could make your own.

Or move the tunnel mouths onto the straights.

Or use shorter stock (probably not viable!).

That's what happens when you use sharp curves, the overhang on long coaches gets worse!

craigj1303

Postby craigj1303 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 pm

b308 wrote:You could cut them in half at the top of the arch, move the sides out until it clears and then make some sort of filler.

That's what happens when you use sharp curves, the overhang on long coaches gets worse!
b308 wrote:You could cut them in half at the top of the arch, move the sides out until it clears and then make some sort of filler.

I can't move the tunnel mouths on to straights, that doesn't suit the rest of my layout plan. As you say, it isn't viable to use shorter stock. I'm not overkeen or skilled enough to make my own! :) Not quite sure what oyu mean by using a dpuble track one for a single track?

But I do like the idea of cutting in half and filling a join at the top, that could work!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Raise them up with balsa wood perhaps?
Then just paint/weather to match the tunnel mouth.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Cut them in two and cover the gap with a large keystone. You need to make it big enough to hide the fact that the top of the arch is flat. An arch with a flat top looks like it's about to fall down.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:33 am

I meant as Bufferstop said!

Re the single/double comment, I wasn't sure whether your layout was double or single track, if it is single you can use a double track tunnel mouth to give the extra clearance...

There are other ways of hiding an "exit", one you may consider is having a road bridge going over the track just as it disappears, they tend to be straight sided so have more clearance.

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:56 pm

My guess is that the stock is clipping them at the top of the loco/carraige or is it the front of the loco cactching becasue of the bend overhang? Therefore is the track on a raised bed and adding to the height of the carraige? therefore could you try and raise the tunnel arch accordingly by packing under the base of the arch?

EDIT; sorry already suggested by End2End :oops:
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:43 pm

I've had the same problems in the past ,I've got the skaledale tunnel mouths ,both double and single and was able to just get the position right and the coaches would just miss ,but I've got some hawksworth coaches and they are a bit longer than the others I have so I will have to experiment before I build ,I will probably raise the tunnel mouths with some thin wood or even card untill it clears,I can then easily disguise it with grass etc and my plan will be to have the tunnel over the curves ( 2nd and 3rd rad )so the same problem as you ,,hope you find a solution to suit you ,,,mjb

Return to “Scenery”