Static Grass Problems

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
mst1664

Static Grass Problems

Postby mst1664 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:27 am

Good morning all.

First an apology if this has been covered else where. I searched static grass but couldn't find what I was after.

I am having a pleasing amount of success with my static grass applicator when I use it with the nail attached to scenery built from foam or polystyrene and the grass is also applied to the same materials but I am extremely disappointed when using the same methods on the plywood base with a scatter ground cover. I assume this is due to the conducting properties of the wood. I tried a little experiment this morning with acetate sheet stuck on plywood to try and give some extra umphh but this, unfortunately, wasn't particularly successful.

Does anyone have any tips that would assist me please.

Regards

Mark

Bufferstop

Re: Static Grass Problems

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:21 pm

Find one of those large brown paper sacks that spuds come in. It will probably be 3 layers of soft brown paper. Stick a layer of it to the board, then paint it with 50/50 PVA and water. Stick your contact pin to the area you want to treat and stop to move the pin as soon as the strands don't stand up.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:44 pm

mine worked on MDF i just needed to cover the area in pva/ water and move the nail around as i went

have you tried replacing the battery?

mst1664

Postby mst1664 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

New batteries Alex but still no joy unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip Bufferstop. I'll give that a go on my test piece to see how I get on.

Regards

Mark

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:00 pm

conductivity of differing materials is irrelevant as the glue/water mix is the conducting media and water is just about the best conductor !! distance applied from and batteries are the most likely answer , more PVA in the mix , sprinkling lower down and a run over with the vacuum after drying and building up layers are better tips

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi

I wouldn't go for a PVA/Water mix in this case, static grass is best applied to neat PVA, preferably new fresh PVA, not old slightly stiff PVA.

Not sure but surely the 'nail' merely provides the earth, the static charge is applied to the fibres at the gun end, to orientate them.

I've only used the hand method, in which all the static is generated at the puffer bottle.

Just suggestions.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

mst1664

Postby mst1664 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Guys

I can see where your coming from. On thinking about it the nail would just be the earth but unfortunately this doesn't help to explain the very different results I get on differing materials whilst using the same method. I tried another area on the test piece of plywood which was about 75mm square with 50 /50 PVA and water with no success at all and only fractionally more on neat PVA.

I shall persevere however. The results, as I said before, are excellent on the non ply based scenery.

Thanks

Mark

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:10 pm

You haven't said what your applicator is. If it's the flyswat crossed with a tea strainer type make sure that the wire at the business end is making a good contact with the mesh, not just with with the rim. Also check for leakage between that wire and the one that goes to the ground pin. When I made mine I routed the ground wire through the handle, under the battery compartment and out through the end. I think the only difference that the base material will make is to the strength of the field and that should just translate into needing to hold it closer to the surface and working closer to the ground pin.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 am

Mine sparks with loud popping sound if I touch the nail to the other end - this would be one way of testing for good connections :lol:

Return to “Scenery”