PVA question

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Rabspat

PVA question

Postby Rabspat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 am

Sorry if this has been asked before but after 10 pages my eyes started to hurt.

I am going to start putting track ballast and grass down, can I use everyday PVA glue or will I need PVA Wood glue?
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Andrew-1976

Re: PVA question

Postby Andrew-1976 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am

normal PVA is fine. I buy the cheap stuff from Asda and mix my own for ballasting (about 50/50 or slightly stronger with a dab of washing up liquid)

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I use Gorilla wood glue (polyurathane based) for any wood work or where I need strength, or moisture resistance is needed. Good for MDF, ply etc. It's also sandable.
For all paper and card work I use ''White Glue'' (pva) from Hobbycraft (white bottle, blue label), which grabs and dries quickly, and a good price.
And for mixing with wall filler, for ground work, sealing hardboard, plaster etc., I just use a cheap one from any pound type shop. n.b the cheaper pva's use chalk as a filler apparently, which might explain why they seem more runny and a bit plasticky when dry.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Hobby craft also do a tacky PVA which comes with a yellow lid which is a bit more sticky then normal PVA which is handy - for my normal PVA its either Wilko as its cheaper or Tesco as its closer :lol:

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks all, I got a nice big 2.5lt PVA Wood Glue for £6 that last me forever on my small layout.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:13 pm

It will probably last you longer than that. I "rescued" two five litre bottles of nameless PVA from the skip at work. They covered all of my modelling and DIY needs for the best part of 25 years. Every time I though one of them might be running out I discovered a thick layer at the bottom. Once I'd added some water and given it a good stirring it's volume doubled. Came as quite a shock when I had to buy some :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Scenery”