Backscene

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Buggleskelly

Backscene

Postby Buggleskelly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Do you know of any web-sites I can download a free backscene. I tried this one, the images are what I am looking for, but in no way can I bully my printer into printing them over several sheets of paper. :-

http://windward.f1p.co.uk/download/page ... cenes.html

Thanks
Martin

Brossard

Re: Backscene

Postby Brossard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 pm

I got some free sky backscene files from Scalescenes some time ago. These are, by definition going to be long, so a home printer isn't going to cut it. If you have access to a plotter at work, you may be able to get them done there. I got mine printed at my local business supplies store but they weren't cheap. The quality was good, on photographic paper, dimensions were (I think) 9 x 36. The cost was almost the same as backscenes you can buy from International Models:

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acat ... cenes.html

Gaugemaster have them too IIRC.

John
John

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

just increase the scaling and it should force it onto more then one sheet:

if you get stuck let me know which one you want and i can try converting it to PDF multiple sheets for you

edit:
some nice ones on there - thank you for the link

only issue is at 100% the document size is only 31cm by 5cm so when printed out across multiple sheets the quality might be affected

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi Alex,
Backscene 4 Hills would be great as a pdf thanks !
It looks as though I am having one of those days when Murphy's law says everything will go wrong :0)

Martin

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Had to use a different method but here are some PDF versions :)

Landscape version 4 pages -- 8.7MB

portrait version 8 pages -- 8.7MB

portrait version no border 8 pages -- 8.7MB

let me know how it goes as i might try it myself

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Alex,
Thanks for that, much appreciated.
I have printed the first ''landscape'' file at around 70%. As I am using N gauge, the resulting print gives about the height I am looking for. Even at 100% the image is okay I think for ''distant'' scenery.
Image quality is as expected at a smaller scale, however its slightly hazy appearance, in my mind, is just right for distant background. Paper type and quality have a bearing, and I am going to try some spare A4 photo paper I have. Whatever that outcome, I think I shall be going ahead and using this image, as it to me it is very suitable.

All the Best
Martin

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 am

happy i could help :D

let me know how the photo paper goes if you try it - might be a little glossy? (have not used it before but if it turns out like normal photos might looks little odd)

I think you are right about it being ok for distant scenery as anything more detailed might distract from the layout?

might even try my hand at creating my own image to use next time i am somewhere nice as it could add a nice touch :D

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 am

I have used panoramic photographs from Flickr with good effect, (see the last page of my layout thread, link in the signature). I just asked the owners permission and they were quite happy for me to print the photographs off. One thing worth considering is how to mount these. I printed them on a laser printer onto A3 sheets of standard photocopier paper, then used a few Pound Shop glue sticks to mount this to big sheets of A1 artists 140gsm cartridge paper. I then left this to dry before glueing to the hardboard using PVA glue. On my first attempt when I glued the photocopier paper straight onto the hardboard it wrinkled badly.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am

The most professional way for a backscene is definitely using a plotter which can print to any lengths and size. Then you need to ensure that the you have the right paper quality. You don't want your back scene getting into contact with moisture or water if you have the wrong paper. A professional printing company will advise you on your best options. However, this does come at a price!
The next option is to print several sheets on your own home printer and butt them up. The problem here is the joints which can be seen ( usually in the sky)and may overshadow the good work you've done on your layout. Again you need to use the correct papers and also you need to need the correct glue to mount them.
Another option is to buy the backscene in lengths. These are usually available via outlets such as gaugemaster and are relatively cheap. Try to avoid the over-scaled and unrealistic Peco ones.
A further option is to paint the length of the backscene in a very very light blue- almost white and then stick on 'cut outs' of the landscape you wish to add onto it. I've seen some great backscenes made this way and they are by far the cheapest. This also eliminates the joints in butted paper prints.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 am

Hmm..some very good ideas here. I think I will be experimenting for a while. The use of cut-outs would eliminate the butt joints.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 am

alex3410 wrote:happy i could help :D

let me know how the photo paper goes if you try it - might be a little glossy? (have not used it before but if it turns out like normal photos might looks little odd)

I think you are right about it being ok for distant scenery as anything more detailed might distract from the layout?

might even try my hand at creating my own image to use next time i am somewhere nice as it could add a nice touch :D

Yep, photo paper too glossy ! yuk

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Does anyone know of a website where I can try to stitch some photos I've taken together to form a backscene out of them?
I looked at http://www.clevr.com/ but a lot of the site seems defunct.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Why oh why do they have to keep improving things? The first colour printer I got my hands on knew nothing about paper sizes,. You had to work out pixels to print and orientation for yourself, but it could print as long as you could fit in memory, and with a nifty bit of switching when one computer had used up its memory full you could send another lot from a second one, whilst reloading the first. It was ruddy slow and you had to unroll the paper from a roll intended for a copier, as well as making sure it didn't start wandering off on the skew, but a ten foot by eight inch print was quite possible
Then they made the replacement model user friendly, it was A4 or perhaps you'd like it on US letter size, and that was it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm

End2end wrote:Does anyone know of a website where I can try to stitch some photos I've taken together to form a backscene out of them?
I looked at http://www.clevr.com/ but a lot of the site seems defunct.
Thanks
End2end

Just wanted to bump the last question to see if anyone knows.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:26 pm

I've used Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE) in the past. Easy to use. No online version AFAIK.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... yuhsKdrxCz
Last edited by Roger (RJ) on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Scenery”