Scenery Books

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
rogercontroller

Scenery Books

Postby rogercontroller » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 am

As a relative newcomer, I am looking for a book or books on railway modelling. Does the forum have any recommendations.

At this stage I am looking for a basic book, I can build on more advanced techniques as I grow in experience and confidence.

If it makes any difference I am aiming at a late British steam area and the layout in an urban environment that the locomotives go out and through some farm and open grass areas. There are tunnels, rocks etc.

Many Thanks in advance for suggestions.

TK421

Re: Scenery Books

Postby TK421 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:56 am

Try the aspects of modeling series, there is one on scenery. Hornby magazine also have a book/novel magazine that came out last december with a collection of there how to's from the magazine that might be useful. I'm not sure of the title but it's not their yearbook.

The other is How to build a Model railway which again is a magazine/book by model rail it's their 2012 annual and it may still be around, possibly on ebay. But if you can get hold of it it's very useful.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Try e-bay, or Amazon, and the plethora of books therein. 8)

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi

I think I'm right in saying there's a good Woodland Scenics guide, that you can pick up at a reasonable price in model shops and Hobbycraft.

That said, the web is probably the best source. The best way is to just have a go and experiment, the worst that can happen is you * it up and have to start again. I'd also recommend a small test board to try ideas out on before you comit to your layout.

Pete
I am eight now and I just sit and watch the news
Now I'm nine and I'm the only kid with the blues
I am ten now and they take my blood three times a day
All I wanna do is play

HotBox53

Postby HotBox53 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

I've got a great book on all aspects of railway modelling: "Railway Modelling" by Norman Simmons, hard cover ISBN 1 85260 596 0. I got it at a reduced price because pages 33 to 64 are upside down - surely the rarest and most collectable copy on the planet :lol:
First class passengers remain seated!
Second class passengers get out and walk!
Third class passengers get out and push!

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 pm

For a long time the 'standard work' was Landscape Modelling by Barry Norman, published by Wild Swan. Some of the materials are a bit dated - it preceded the Woodland Scenics chopped foam revolution and good luck finding surgical lint these days - but his guidance on colouring, texture and detailing is superb.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

lezjez

Postby lezjez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

The British Railway Modelling website have some scenic books on sale, a couple of the from Peter Marriott. They are only £5 and free postage. I ordered some on Sunday, waiting for them to be deivered.

buz

Postby buz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi rogercotroller
Model Railroader publish a few book on the railway modelling.
also Carstens (spelling) as well.
while these are American books the information is good once translated into UK english.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Save yourself some money, trawl through the layouts on this site and find one that is closest to the scenic "feel" that you are looking for on your layout and ask the layout owner how he or she achieved that look, some cracking examples are available.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Scenery”