Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ParkeNd

Re: Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

Your method for developing and building the hipped roof is considered and practical which is good. I was interested that you had done it at all. Many buildings you see have very plain roofs and an injection of hipped roofs every now and again would further improve the credibility of the scene.

Interesting to note the comments about rulers. I use a 3ft alluminium rule to cut off strips of Daler board, my original B&Q 12" steel rule to cut with, and a new Rabone Chestermann 12" steel rule reserved only for measuring and drawing. The Rabone jobby was hard to find but it is consistently easy to read. The length of the markings and the position of the numerals varies on the cheap ruler and I found I could be 1mm out on paired measurements.

Your historical problems with card seem to be more with paper surfacing material than with the card or board itself. I too would find this more like wall papering and thus not an attractive proposition. I think people try to bend this stuff around corners and window apertures must be a pain. Did you manage to get no curved edges or bowed walls at all with plastic card?

Cutting Daler board with a Swann Morton scalpel (unless you stick it in your finger) is a joy. The internet cost of handles and blades is so astonishingly low I am surprised more adults don't use them. You have to change the blades with a pair of long nosed pliers if you want any fingers left though.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Here is a picture of my completed shed, scratchbuilt from the scored plasticard kindly sent to me by Dad-1. I am much happier with this than with my previous attempts at scratch building, mainly because the use of plans made certain that all the pieces were the right size and fitted together well. Unfortunately my phone camera hasn't captured it too well though.

I gently scribed the surface of the plastic to get the wood plank effect, then to paint it I dabbed some brown paint on then smeared it all over with a piece of paper towel. I find that this allows the paint to sit in the cracks and scribe cuts and creates the illusion of planks.

I plan to build some more sheds from the plans too.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey, That looks just the thing !!
It's amazing how a success fires up the enthusiasm .....
Best to stay with basic shapes until confident, but once cracked almost anything is
possible. Non square, hipped roof, building with lean-to.

You've certainly brought it to life with that painting.
Well done.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for sending me the plans to try it out! In future I will definitely try the method you described in the letter.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm

That looks pretty good skyblue, but will you fall into the trap of modelling a model railway in there, complete with scracth built shed in the corner, housing a model model railway, complete with scratchbuilt shed in the corner.... :shock: :lol:

Just packing up materials for some holiday scratch building, previously I've just taken kits, there's a lot more stuff to take now, a very heavy shoebox worth of materials tools and paints, plus another empty on to take whatever creation a manage to put together back again, and a small fold-away table in case there isn't suitable provision at the cottage :o Hopefully the white spirit won't leak this time, I was in deep sticky stuff last time that happened, but got a proper bottle for it now!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:22 pm

Next in my series of "buildings bearing a resemblance to those at Corfe Castle" is the goods shed. I am sure I will be berated for this but presently it is only a single layer embossed plasticard. This will probably change though when I work out the interior, as I'll probably put a walled insert in thus strengthening it, as the walls appear quite thick rather than solid layers of plasticard it will be embossed plasticard - gap - inner wall plasticard of some description, with some thin strips to cover where the gaps would show around doors and windows etc.

The roof has just been balanced on for effect, I haven't even painted it yet, so I can still get to the interior to do something about that. The windows done in my now usual fashion, stone effect has come out better in camera than in real life unusually, this still needs some more work. Canopies are from the planking used for the signal box and waiting room with the edges cut using the end of a coffee stirrer as a template.

So, anyone suggestions what to put inside? I'd like it to be what was here rather than what is (currently a small museum filled with various bits of the usual railway detritus) so presumably platform of some kind? what else? Thanks in advance :D

Also looking for some advice on guttering, what do people use for it, are there kits around, or scratchbuilt? If so, how? :)

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:52 pm

No berating from me. Scratch building is all good in my book.

I use Evergreen channel for gutters - it paints superbly. And Evergreen rodding for drain pipes.

If the inside is anything like the goods shed at Parkend, it has a raised floor that is goods van height on one side (end to end) backed by another the same height as lorry decks. Some tables and chairs for butties and tea flasks. A clerks desk for stamping paperwork. Not much really.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Why do I allow myself to be dragged off course ?
On the prototype building thread it was suggested that adding a cut off corner could be difficult.
My immediate thought was 'NO', why should it be ? so long as the corner was flat & not concave.
So I rapidly did a drawing - didn't even draw the back wall !! Then started cutting plastic.
However to be worth the effort I want a building I can use, somewhere, sometime !! As a result
it's taking more time than I wanted to spend. The basic inner shell is now cut, with window & door
appatures. Care was needed with the cut out corner due to the overlap I have on all corners.
I hope that because I'm using 1 mm plastic ? by deducting 1 mm off the front wall I'll end up with
a true corner cut-out.

Only time will tell ........

Oh & tomorrow I have to start on the Bridport Clubs "Thomas" layout - so this may slow down !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:24 am

Back here on a wet Saturday ...... sauntering around town not a thing for today !!

I was once asked what I do most of my cutting with, well here are some of my scalpels.

I much prefer the straight edged blades for building & general use. The Swann Morton No.3 handle
takes a few different blades, but I mostly use the No.11 and have one with a chisel head.
For heavier work I often break those finer blades and when I can find one (I'm untidy) I usually
have a No.4 handle with a No.26 blade for that straight edge.
There are times when a curved No.24 blade is better, one is scraping away edges, in particular on Vacformed
aircraft. These do not follow a light scratched line well, but again only fit the No.4 handle.

Not in the picture, but I do use a new blade in a Stanley knive for some Very heavy cutting. Can't
remember where it is as it's a while since it was used !!

I hope the picture helps to show the difference between a No.3 & No.4 handle.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 am

My cut-away corner building, which I think will have to become another pub
has used up all my remaining embossed brick.
I was in a hurry this morning and forgot to finish curving the lintels above my windows.
All I'd curved was the front door plus the one window in what will be the chimney end.
Here showing again how I open windows & doors in the white plastic core, then add whatever
finish laminate I'm using covering the whole piece, then using that pre-cut window/door
to cut around, so matching shapes through the outer laminate layer.

Propped together where one can clearly see the extended laminate, in this instance on the front
& back walls to overlap and provide that hidden corner join.

Honestly it's great fun ? creating 'your' building to whatever size, or shape to fit your individual
requirements.

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 am

For cutting plastic I tend to use a Stanley knife, and after two or three strokes across the plastic it tends to be weakened enough to snap. I find that the cut tends to be cleaner this way (although it only works on a straight line) - do most people tend to cut all the way through?

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:16 pm

I usually score and snap as well, I think that's the advised method. It's what slaters reccomend to, it said on a packet of plasticard I ordered recently that was the best way to do it. Unless you use one of these cutting things which ParkeNd has been on about, which sounds like it actually cuts a small channel out of the plasti rather than forcefully parting it?

I'm very lazy with my cutting blades usually using just the one small knife for cutting plasticard, a slightly heftier one for anything a bit heavier and a stanley knife for cutting really thick things, like thin ply wood :o

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:10 pm

skyblue wrote:For cutting plastic I tend to use a Stanley knife, and after two or three strokes across the plastic it tends to be weakened enough to snap. I find that the cut tends to be cleaner this way (although it only works on a straight line) - do most people tend to cut all the way through?

I cut all the way through - but use .020 and .030 Plastikard from Slaters as a cladding for 1.5mm Daler board. Even the .060 is easy to cut if genuine Slaters because it is soft and flexible - I think the cheap stuff is rigid and hard and creates the problems people refer to. My choice of weapon is a Swann Morton 10A blade but in a Swann Morton retractable blade holder which I close after every cut. Since overbalancing very slightly with a rigid blade holder in my right hand, and then cutting through the artery of my left index finger I have religion about this. I got the religion in A and E when they said "To close everything we we will have to open up the cut a bit more I am afraid". Still I got a first hand demo of what superglue was really invented for.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Dad-1 wrote:
Honestly it's great fun ? creating 'your' building to whatever size, or shape to fit your individual
requirements.

Geoff T.

Couldn't agree more - have a go.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Are your plastic 'Corner squares' home made ParkeNd :?: They look a bit more efficient than Geoff's cloths peg.

Return to “Scenery”