Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Dad-1

Re: Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi David,

That laser cutting is so sharp .... I worry that as computerised systems take over I shall be left behind. As to
having a laser cutter, I don't even have a laser printer !!

Hi ParkeNd,

Apart from the differing shell materials we both use Slaters embossed. I have a question for any other scratch
builders. Do any of you use DAS modelling clays over MDF, or ply ? I have used Slaters embossed over ply, MDF,
and foam board, but have seen some superb hand crafted stone finishes from air dried modelling clay over a
strong MDF, or ply shell and have been impressed, so would like to try out.
In fact I will try out - back to that first step hesitation again. I have a MDF shell, I have 500 grams of DAS so
why am I waiting ??

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Nice one Paul,

To my eye that falls into the 'good stuff' section.

This aimed at anyone who wants to try ...... just ask a few questions and use my old management saying
"If in doubt Shout". Whatever materials you may choose to try there will no doubt be someone who will
advise if things start to go wrong.
Our aim is to get others started, & believe me once started you'll be rolling along !!!

Geoff T.
David Bigcheeseplant

Post by David Bigcheeseplant »

Another photo of the wall of Aylesbury engine shed again laser cut, the window frames are laser cut in paper.

The walls are painted with Humbrol enamals.

Our model railway club invested in the laser cutter and the software we use is a free download called ProdgeCAD.

Designing the artwork on the computer mean all the brickwork can be correct with quarter bricks round doors windows and corners,

David
b308

Post by b308 »

Lovely stuff Parkend!

What is that knife you are using? I've been using a Stanley knife for years but they've discontinued the blades I use and I can't get another one that I like but that one looks a possibility...
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

b308 wrote:Lovely stuff Parkend!

What is that knife you are using? I've been using a Stanley knife for years but they've discontinued the blades I use and I can't get another one that I like but that one looks a possibility...
Hi b308

It's a Swann Morton retractable blade holder which I use with Swann Morton 10A scalpel blades. The blades are so sharp that you need to fit them and remove them with a pair of long nosed pliers. I used to use the fixed scalpel holders until I cut myself badly enough to have to be superglued back together in A&E. The retractable is great though - I close it after every cut - the fixed version was dangerous because you get into the habit of just carrying it about if you want to move a couple of feet to pick up some glue for instance. I did this once and slightly overbalanced and the blade cut the index finger on my other hand.

Great in the retractable version though - and more comfortable to use.
b308

Post by b308 »

Thanks Parkend, I'll take a look at them!

With regard to the laser cut stuff, several of the Czech models I've made recently are laser cut and it knocks the plastic and card kits into a cocked hat, the quality of the finished model is far above either of them. Luckily the Czechs also have several ranges of detailing parts that are laser cut...

I was chatting to one of the Peco lads not so long ago and they reckon that laser cut kits will start to take over from the others as they suit low number runs and the quality is better...
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Certainly laser cut kit parts is bound to take off in a big way - and laser cut bespoke parts for a tricky but flat part for a scratch built building.

But how much does a laser cutter cost compared with a scalpel? Are they down to inkjet printer sort of prices yet?
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

"Are they down to inkjet printer sort of prices yet?
No but the Cameo Cutter is getting close. Check it out, it's basically a flat bed plotter carrying a blade.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

ParkeNd wrote:But how much does a laser cutter cost compared with a scalpel?
Depends how much you value your time I suppose!

Re the knife, i just found someone who is selling those discontinued blades I've been after so I've bought 50!
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

b308 wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:But how much does a laser cutter cost compared with a scalpel?
Depends how much you value your time I suppose!

Re the knife, i just found someone who is selling those discontinued blades I've been after so I've bought 50!
I had a look at the Cameo advert. £259 is not much money but a £15 per month software licence is a fair drain. Seems good for a small business though.

Glad you found your preferred blades.
b308

Post by b308 »

I think it's more suitable for business rather than personal use at the moment, just like 3D printers...

You and Geoff will know what it's like with knives, after having used this one for about 30 years I was really struggling to find another that felt comfortable, to say i was relieved when I saw those blades for sale was an understatement!
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

b308 wrote:I think it's more suitable for business rather than personal use at the moment, just like 3D printers...

You and Geoff will know what it's like with knives, after having used this one for about 30 years I was really struggling to find another that felt comfortable, to say i was relieved when I saw those blades for sale was an understatement!
The type of knife you prefer is more of a personal thing than I had realised. I couldn't get on with Xacto knives and their imitators with their tendency for the blades to rotate and unscrew. The term Stanley Knife conjures up an image of that big red handle and thick blades - is there another type? Swann Morton with the precise surgical quality blades seems to be an N gauge thing.
b308

Post by b308 »

Stanley do lots of them, the one you mention is probably the best known and has plenty of cheap dangerous imitations!

Mine uses the same sort of blades as their cheap hobby knife that comes with many models (the one with the red plastic handle and long blade). I've tried to find it but I assume that it's discontinued now, though this (also discontinued!) seems to be an updated version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Titan-C ... B0001IW5AE
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

Some truly inspiring efforts throughout this thread.
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.
David Bigcheeseplant

Post by David Bigcheeseplant »

I used to build structures using Slaters embossed plasticard, but the laser cut buildings I can design and build are much better, take a fraction of the time, and if you make a mistake or want to improve the design it is very easy to do.

Our club brought the laser cutter and its use for club projects personal use is free. Materials are quite cheep too in fact Rowmark which is the plastic I use for my buildings is cheaper than plastic card, MDF, card or paper is even cheaper. Our club also run a days workshop on using CAD software.

David