Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Undereaves

Re: Scratchbuilding of assorted structures

Post by Undereaves »

Trying out the stone sheet plasticard inserts.

They're not stuck in place yet. Think I'll prime them first, the goods shed pieces are primed from previously. Not sure if this will work out but I'm enjoying it and it's a learning experience coming up with solutions myself.

Edit: I've decided to use a different plasticard stone sheet which I think will be more appropriate. Small dressed stone
GaryAM

Post by GaryAM »

I'm just starting to do some scratch building, and found some really good information on this post. Some of the thread pictures are missing and was wondering if they could be seen again somehow?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Gary,

I don't look back that far usually.
I see many are my pictures from when Imageshack was the hosting site. They went subscription only
so I returned to Photobucket. It looks like they have now deleted all the pictures from those who have
not been a 'customer' for a few years.

The trouble is I have no idea what pictures I'd put in these slots and although they will still be in photofiles
somewhere in my computers I doubt that I'll find, or more correctly identify.
Take that as a warning don't trust any 'cloud' or other external picture storing, or hosting site. The only way
to keep your pictures is to store somewhere in your control.

I will creep back & see what can be done.

Geoff T.
GaryAM

Post by GaryAM »

:) thanks Geoff, very much:)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Those structures are really nice. A bit expensive to make from plasticard though, but nonetheless they are nice! Well done. :)
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

just out of curiosity, how long on average does it take you to complete a scratch built structure, obviously I know this will vary wildly depending on size and complexity, as I'm nearing completion of my latest attempt and it seems to have taken an absolute age to get a relatively simple building complete
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It normally takes longer then one thinks. For me, I find a lot of time is spent waiting for paint to dry as I tend to paint as I build as it is a lot easier to paint internal parts before the final structure is made rather then trying to reach them through windows or doors with a little paintbrush!
gppsoftware

Post by gppsoftware »

One essential tool which I don't think has been mentioned is a scale elevation plan of the item being modelled.
This is probably easier to achieve with real buildings as plans are available.

For example, I used the plans of Tetbury goods shed in Paul Karau's book to build a scale model of the building: http://www.mrol.com.au/Pages/Vu/Modelli ... yGoodsShed
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I expected to get notification of new messges but got nothing so came to see why. Of course! I forgot to click the notifications button.
The good side of it is that every time I come I start by the first page because love seeing the beautiful Polish loco with it's train:

[/url]

Now the notification issue is solved but would you, please,tell about that loco, train and setting?
Soprry for the digression!

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Daniel,

Member b308 hasn't had a registered visit to the site since April, so you'll probably not get
a reply to your request.
This thread also suffers from many of the pictures being missing. They were lost when various
picture hosting sites started charging much more than most of us were prepared to pay. As a
result the links were broken for ever.

Geoff T
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you, Geoff.

Sorry, you had already explained but the memory function of my lone brain cell has reached it's 70 and is convinced that don't need to work much anymore! :oops: :? :roll:

_ Doctor, I come to see you because I suffer from amnesia._
_Oh ... Since when? _
_ Since when what? _

Daniel
My new Flickr:

My old Flickr:

b308

Post by b308 »

Daniel wrote:The good side of it is that every time I come I start by the first page because love seeing the beautiful Polish loco with it's train:

Now the notification issue is solved but would you, please,tell about that loco, train and setting?
Sorry for the digression!

Daniel
It's a Px48 pulling CD liveried Austrian 4 wheel coaches, the layout is (was, it's now gone!) "South Bohemia H0e" and is based on the JHMD in the south of the Czech Republic on the border with Austria, Daniel. You may have seen it on NGRM when you were a member and it was also featured in Continental Modeller many years ago.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Well, great to get your answer, sad to read the layout is gone, curiosity about the destiny of the beautiful loco and it's origin (scratch built? kit? Small cottage production? and hope: may be you have a lot of photos of the layout?

I am sorry to say, the elastic memory of my lone brain cell can't recall that beauty from the NGRM days but I am almost certain if I had seen it I would remember it.

Anyway thank you a lot.

Daniel
My new Flickr:

My old Flickr:

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

by Dad-1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:14 am
Member b308 hasn't had a registered visit to the site since April, so you'll probably not get
a reply to your request.
by b308 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 am
It's a Px48 pulling CD liveried Austrian 4 wheel coaches, the layout is (was, it's now gone!) "South Bohemia H0e" and is based on the JHMD in the south of the Czech Republic
Proof if it was needed that everything comes to he who waits.

:D Thanks Blair
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

OK John!

Daniel: I have some other photos of it as well as the CM article but then I dabbled in TTe for a while, however I'm back into H0e, based around the same part of the world (Central Europe) but now in the imaginary country of Ostrovia, in fact the layout is getting it's first outings in Crewe next Saturday and then Wombourne in October, though a bit far for you! The Px48 is a handbuilt loco by a chap called Paul Windle in plasticard on a Bachmann chassis, he used to do "specials" like this one, though you can now get a 3D printed body of the loco from Shapeways which uses the Farish 8f chassis.

This is the current layout, Ostrovia: