Hanging basket liners

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Kevuk3

Hanging basket liners

Postby Kevuk3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have noticed a few people using hanging basket liners to great effect for grass . I have been looking around to try and find some but can not find any of good enough quality.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some good quality ones , also any tips for using them. I have seen some people just glue them down and others talk of ripping them off when dry which i dont understand.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Kev

Terrier

Re: Hanging basket liners

Postby Terrier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi Kev, the quality varies, i suspect a garden centre would stock the 'finer' type, although, you can achieve a fairly good effect with a 99p jobby from a 99p shop or some such emporium. The gluing down and ripping up is a technique which is as simple as it sounds, cut the stuff to the shape or area of rough grass you desire, glue it down well, unibond etc, wait a good while, day or two for it to dry, then grip at it and tear the top away, what this does is leave some of the basket liner stuck to the area you've glued it and a sort of rough grass effect, from the separating of the basket liner, can be fun, and can be snesationally annoying to, but give it a try first somewhere before trying it for the first time on your layout, so that you can gauge what the effect will be and whether you like it or not.

Hope this helps

Chris P

Roberto

Postby Roberto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Kev, I purchased hanging basket liners from Poundland. I constructed a framework from cereal packet card strips and stuck the liner down to the framework using UHU glue (Poundland again) . I left it glued down, didnt rip it up.
PICT2590 (640x275).jpg
PICT2590 (640x275).jpg (164.79 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks guys , gives me some ideas to try.

Kev

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

I've used it on a couple of layouts now, and I find it's excellent for representing scrubby, overgrown patches of land (such as at the end of sidings). I find that if you combine it with different colours and consistencies of scatter, you can get quite a realistic effect. However, I do prefer to go at it with a pair of nail scissors after laying, otherwise I end up with grass a scale 12ft long (I model in 00).
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:10 am

Well i've tried a few small test patches , like the method of ripping the backing off but found its all about getting the amount of glue applied just right for the effect i want.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 am

If you look in a decent garden centre rather than a cheap general outlet you will be able to find the stuff on a roll rather than individual basket liners.

You need to spread a layer of PVA and then push the hairy side into it leaving the backing uppermost. Once dry pull the backing off. You will not get an instant result, it will need tidying up by teasing bits out and trimming areas, you can supplement it with further scatter/flock/static grass as required.

The bottom line is that you need to have a play about and lean by trial and error to find what works best for you.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 am

An alternative to the Hanging Basket Liners is the old fashioned type of carpet underlay or pipe lagging that, although rare, can still be found. If anything this stuff was slightly superior, having a more uniform quality of fibre and less "other filler". Worth having a look under old carpets to se what is there!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:19 am

I got a really cheap liner and did a different method of ripping the fiber from the liner and then gluing it down with the old 50/50 pva water mix and once dry cut it down with a beard trimmer. This was a method I picked up of an old BRM magazine dvd.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Return to “Scenery”