Help needed for photographic backscene

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
crab

Help needed for photographic backscene

Postby crab » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

I have been trying to get some photographic panoramas of English countryside to use as a backscene for my 1930's period LMS layout. However living in the Antipodes, this is somewhat challenging. I asked a couple of friends travelling to the UK to do it, but without success. I would fly over and take them myself, had I not spent all my money on track and rolling stock!

So I am wondering if there is a forum member with a reasonable digital camera, who happens to live near a flattish rural area who would be keen to take up the challenge? I'm thinking of somewhere where there is a clear flattish foreground of say 50 - 100m, and perhaps trees, hedgerows, fields, distant villages and hills beyond that. I probably need about 12m of backscene, so perhaps 2 panoramas of similar areas when stitched together and enlarged would do the trick.

If anyone feels drawn to this please send me a PM and we could discuss ideas.

Cheers
Crab

deanno

Re: Help needed for photographic backscene

Postby deanno » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am

hi, have a look at these ones, if my link works ok, and they are free

http://windward.f1p.co.uk/download/page ... cenes.html

Deanno

crab

Postby crab » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for that Deano, that is the sort of thing I am looking for. Unfortunately those examples dont seem to join up and as I will be enlarging them, I was hoping for perhaps a higher resolution. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Cheers
Crab

craw607

Postby craw607 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 pm

You could maybe have a look here.
www.internationalmodels.net
John

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 pm

peco do some nice backscenes that are designd to join up in various different sizes, there are villages, countryside, hills, mountains, industrial towns, skys the lot. only problem is some people prefere actual photos rather than he style they are done in, which i like and have on my layout
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Peterdn6

Postby Peterdn6 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Cede Nullis

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Trouble with someone doing a modern photo could be that things could be different from the '30s, farm animals, the way hedges are cut these days and road vehicles for instance!

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Not to mention finding an area of British countryside that big that doesn't include a pylon at some point!

johnco

Postby johnco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Or a wind powered electricity generator.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 pm

ERMick wrote:Not to mention finding an area of British countryside that big that doesn't include a pylon at some point!

Pylons, poles and wires are pretty easily dealt with just a touch of the cloning brush in any half decent photo editor soon sees them off. Finding fields the right size can prove difficult but even then there's a chance of copying some bits of hedge from somewhere else in the photo and planting them to break up a large field. Modern shaped hedge cutting is a bit more problematical, I'd say get your photos just before the annual trimming takes shape.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

crab

Postby crab » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The International Models ones are probably what I would go for, if all else fails. I know I'm fussy, but if you look carefully, once you buy more than 2 of their larger scenes to make a very long backscene, the images are simply reversed. That way you can join them up as a continuous panorama which is handy, but I'm not sure if I could live with the mirror image! Mindyou if I ever master my airbush I could customise them a bit so the mirroring wouldn't be so noticeable.

Anyway, my original request is still open if anyone is keen.

Cheers
Crab

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Crab, rather than the reflection method of joining up backscenes, go for near match sheets then overlay the join with a closer fore or midground piece cut along natural breaks, such as walls hedges or clusters of trees. I created mine direct onto the white wall with small can of pale blue emulsion then assembled the panorama from sections printed out on A3 paper and cut out along the sky line. Before reaching for the paintbrush I made sure that I could get "sky on a roll, just in case my efforts with a brush were truly dreadful. With a bit of juggling in a DTP package (PagePlus) I could get two strips of scenery (one upside down) on one sheet of A3. There's no saving in the cost of ink but the time spent waiting for it to print out is halved
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

crab

Postby crab » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks Bufferstop, yes I can see how your method would work well to customise the scene.

Cheers
Crab

johnco

Postby johnco » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I had a photographic panorama shot of both countryside and one of dockside scenes which measured 2000mm x 210mm. When printed out on the inkjet printer they came out on 10 sheets.
These were carefully stuck to the backscene board and looked good with the joints only visible at close range. Unfortunately after a week or so the joints became ever more visible even from further away and I could not live with the gaps. I assume that temperature and humidity changes caused the gaps to appear. I would reinstate the backscene if I was able to print it out as one sheet, then at least any shrinkage would be at the ends about 6' 6" apart which is the length of the layout's viewing area.
I would also appreciate some helpful suggestions on how to print something of 2m length in one piece.

noel

Postby noel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:31 pm

+

They all seem to be vistas, whereas what is missing
are steep embankments with heavy growth that would
take the scene to where all one would see over the top
would be sky.

The problem of feathering into the distance would be
solved!

+

Return to “Scenery”