Little people

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
henners18

Little people

Postby henners18 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

hi all.
i am just at the stage where i am starting to add people to my layout and i have been looking in to getting some. So i went online and found out that the hornby figures retail for about £5.99. I have had a look around for some figures and i am just not sure where to get them from for a good price :?:

i Think my railway would really look better if at the stations there was some people and the park would look great

please could you contact me if you have any suggestions on where to buy them or how i could make my own!

thanks
Thanks Henners18

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Little people

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 pm

If you just want space fillers then the cheapy chinesse ones sold by many retailers on ebay will be fine

For more noticable areas and cameos go for the higer quality preiser, noch, etc
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Yep, I agree, and the Chinese ones can be "toned down" (they are often in gloss finish!) and add eyes they look ok... Bear in mind they are mainly HO scale though...

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm

If you seek ultimate realism, then buy the figures from Bachmann, they cost more at around £6.50 for a set of 6 people but they're true scale size & well painted & detail quality,
The figures that are cheap from china in large amounts lack finer detail, are underscale & are poorly moulded/cast, & only basically painted -

People figures are also available from Dapol at 4mm scale size for a reasonable price, but you need to paint them.

You get what you pay for :)
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

henners18

Postby henners18 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you everyone who replyed.
I don't mind painting them but I would need them in oo gauge. I have been looking at job lots on eBay from people who may have given up modelling.

Thank you again
Thanks Henners18

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 pm

henners18 wrote:
I don't mind painting them but I would need them in oo gauge.

Thank you again

People figures from Dapol are 00 scale (a.k.a. 4mm = 1 ft)
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

You could use Preiser figures in 1:87 and use them as back ground figures. Personally I haven't found much of a difference and if chosen carefully you may find that some of the 3.5mm & 4mm figures are the same height. People vary in size in real life remember.
All Aboooooard !!

henners18

Postby henners18 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm

You could use Preiser figures in 1:87 and use them as back ground figures.

thank you very much for you help but these figures are little pricey. do you have a way of making your own figures.

They do not have to be great quality as they are background figures. I could fork out for better quality people for the close up!

thanks again
8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Henners18

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

I use the Preiser figures myself. They do sell them in bulk packs of unpainted figures not sure of prices though for the UK. I would check out eBay.
All Aboooooard !!

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Have you looked at the Dapol (ex Airfix) unpainted figures?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 am

unpainted people, as a general rule, are a lot cheaper because they are difficult to paint, so if you're any good, buy some and paint yourself. this is what my grandad did for me, he sent me a whole jar of people!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

jus

Postby jus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

The Dapol figures are old Airfix casts, and represent figures from the 30's to the 50's really, which, if you're modelling that era, is fine. You can buy off of Ebay, the cheap ones, unpainted, but TBH they're all a bit rough.

I have found that the Airfix soldiers can be used, and they have a variety of poses. You do need to be able to carve off helmets and guns, etc, but they can turn out well with a bit of patience.

Jus
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 am

not really a thread hijack more of a "Held against its will"
What manufacturers do 60's era BR train drivers in 00/H0
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 am

I found the old Airfix 'people' moldings quite detailed. The main difficulty when painting is holding, Any figures look awful if they still have their feet set in a block of concrete, so this was cut/ground off a small hole drilled 'where the sun do'nt shine' up into the body. small piece of stiff wire inserted/ superglued which will eventually be used to position on the layout.Small hole drilled with the Dremellike . The figure/wire inserted into a piece of suitable material to hold whilst painting. better to do a number at a time where the same colour can be used on various figures, makes it tedious if you keep changing/ colour/brush. I have had 2 different lots of seated figures of Ebay one lot at £9.99/100 bit on the big side, basic painting. OK for coaches where detail not critical, UK supplier. The second lot of 120 at about £15.00 from China are HO, better painted and do look better than previous in coaches. One can make oneself, search Making Toy Soldiers by making a rubber mold, and have original figure you want to copy. Time/patience prevailing. Contemplating myself due to silly prices for loco crew. Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:14 pm

OK - for background, sitting inside coaches, etc., 1/87 Preiser (painted or paint yourself) and other HO figures are, perhaps, appropriate. However, IMHO, for those "front and center" figures that say "this in a UK railway in 19xx-21xx," spend the money and get some really high-quality UK specific OO scale figures. No connection to the firm, but have a look at "Dart" castings.

Return to “Scenery”