Hedges and Fencing

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
rob_ram88

Hedges and Fencing

Postby rob_ram88 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi All,

I am after some advice on the best way of putting hedging and fencing.

I have some ready made fencing that clips to the track, but want to use it going away from the track across a field etc.. How can I make this stand up. I have tried putting holes in and trying to glue the posts in but this does not work.

I am a beginner and have just sorted my track layout and want to do the scenery now.

Thanks

Bufferstop

Re: Hedges and Fencing

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Have a look at the Ratio fencing kits, they do loads of different styles, and it will stand up if you glue the posts into holes.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 am

For hedgerows you can't go far wrong with scouring pads, especially if you can find nice green ones. I used these on a OO layout and they worked really well. Had to paint the ones I had as they were grey but with some scatter and little bits of lichen added and the odd tree growing out of them it created a nice effect. Plus you don't have to drill holes for poles everywhere.

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 am

kas1611 wrote:For hedgerows you can't go far wrong with scouring pads, especially if you can find nice green ones. I used these on a OO layout and they worked really well. Had to paint the ones I had as they were grey but with some scatter and little bits of lichen added and the odd tree growing out of them it created a nice effect. Plus you don't have to drill holes for poles everywhere.

I really wouldn't do this because scouring pads look like, well, er, scouring pads.

The most reallistic result I have come across is to use rubberised horsehair matrice filler, dab PVA on it and then roll it in the 'folliage' which drops of when attaching it to trees.

Have a look here: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/DCC%20Sound/DCCSoundHornbyWestCountry.aspx

Scroll to the bottom where the video is. The default Youtube picture shows hedging in the background made in the way describe above.
Not only doe the rubberised horsehair have the right texture, but it also points out all of the place and is the right colour.

If you watch the video, you'll see a lot more of the hedges as the loco departs.

Graham Plowman

bolly1965

Postby bolly1965 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Love this hedges - they look very realistic - now to source some rubberised horsehair

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 pm

"...use rubberised horsehair matrice filler, dab PVA on it and then roll it in the 'folliage' which drops of when attaching it to trees."

Judging by the video link evidence, this method is indeed excellent (as is the layout on which they appear). OTOH, everyone has to start somewhere and scouring pads are cheap if cheerful (and a whole lot cheaper than and damn near as effective as many of the commercially produced "hedges").
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:19 am

One of the things I have learned in my scenic modelling is that something like 80% of the result is getting the right product and 20% or less is modelling skill.

In other words, if you get the right scenic products with the right tones, textures and appearance, you don't need much modelling skill to get a good result from them. It then becomes quite easy to get really good results.

Scouring pads can be broken up and used as weed or ground cover, but for hedges, their use compromises the result straight away because no amount of dressing them up can make them look like what they are supposed to be.
I suppose you could dab them with PVA and cover them with foliage as I previously mentioned, but in my opinion, they are too uniform in shape.

Graham Plowman

Turkey

Postby Turkey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:52 am

C&L did/do a pack of rubberised horsehair, another source is old car restorers, as it was the filling in older car seats, but remember to wash recovered material before useing it, scouring pads can make reasonable hedges but you have to be really vicious with it to lose it's uniform apperence.
I was looking at some continental commerical hedging in the local model shop, only a couple of days ago, and apart from it's way too regular, ornamental garden, well trimmed look, it seemed too small , even for HO. I suppose it's a reflection of how advanced the hobby has become when we become so critical of the size of the common hedgegrow.
Oliver Bulleid: the railway engineers answer to punk rock!
blog, just starting bloggery; http://turkeyscratchings.blogspot.com/
Layout thread; viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36330

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 am

going back to fencing, would painted match sticks and cotton string tied together work for fencing?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:going back to fencing, would painted match sticks and cotton string tied together work for fencing?

No. It will look like match stick with cotton.

Ratio do some nice fencing. The 'wire' is very fine fishing line which isn't fury like cotton.

Graham Plowman

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

thought that would be the reply, just checking, will get some of that fencing stuff in instead :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “Scenery”