Types Of Senic Matieral

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
jkk45

Types Of Senic Matieral

Postby jkk45 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Ok So im REALLY confsued. What ARE these different matierals, and what are they primary uses e.g, small undergrowth, or big hawthawny hedgrows. And how do i make that particular thing, that the matieral is used for

Coarse Turf
Fine Turf
Foliage Clusters
Clump Foliage
Underbrush
Lichen

Bear in mind that these are woodland senics, so the names may be different from other brands

Are you supposted to mix color schemes (and the different matierals) to created intresting affects

Also

1)Which of these would you use to create weeds between the rails
2)Which would you use to make lines of hawthawn
3)Which would you use to make bramble lines near the railway track

THANKYOU

whynot

Re: Types Of Senic Matieral

Postby whynot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 am

I'm very much a beginner, so just some random thoughts which may or may not be "right" - altho' I suspect that in the context of scenery "right" is akin to beauty - "in the eye of the beholder"!

Fine turf - think bowling green. Coarse turf - think the unmown part of a recreation ground. Clusters and clumps sound to be the same. Underbrush, probably much the same as clusters and clumps - the bedraggled bits in scrubland? Lichen is a material with which to create stuff other than "turf", rather than a description of a type of foliage.

Mixing? Well, yes - if it looks "right". Other than a golf course or a formal garden/park, nature isn't big on conformity. In our small, overgrown, garden I can see a huge number of different colours and shapes and sizes and textures.

I'll leave the specifics of "what to use for...." to the more experienced!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

BluePullman21

Postby BluePullman21 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am

jkk45 wrote:1)Which of these would you use to create weeds between the rails

Just like whynot, I'm a beginner so don't know that much, but this week I've been reading about scenic material. I think what you need for the weeds between the rails is either coarse turf or blended turf.

I found out the difference between them from here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30983-beresford-junction/page__st__300

HTH

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 am

Achieving nature's randomness takes a lot of practise and I've never met anyone who would claim to have a surefire method. I find that I need to have some of everything ready to use then it's trial and error until it looks right. Have some photographs of what you are attempting to replicate at hand and keep referring to them. Some of my best "weedy" bits have come by accident when grassing nearby areas. When that happens it's useful to have a fixative spray handy as you'll never get it the same again if you try to apply glue then put the weeds back. I frequently find that what is sold as grass works well as foliage and vice versa, so there's no hard and fast rules on what you use where.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 am

There's a lot that can be done with imaginative use of everyday items that you can find around the home, pan scrubbers, sponges, hanging basket liner, teddy bear fur, string, wool, wire, pipe cleaners, old brush bristles, the filter medium from water filter cartridges - the list is endless really
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

Rog (RJ)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Loads of different types as you've already noted.
Why are there so many things ? Well different manufacturers offer similar but subtlly different products.
Their use is akin to an artist with a range of colour pigments, they are blended & mixed to obtain something
that your eye says looks right.
So if you're in railway modelling for the longer term you will collect an extensive range.
This ground cover has something like 8 different scatters, some fine cornish sand, and a scatter of light fine ballast !!

As a base 'undercoat' a glue surface has Woodland Scenics Burnt Grass fine turf.
Then Gaugemaster dark green flock
a scatter of Jarvis spring grass flock (static grass)
a scatter of Gaugemaster summer grass
an odd patch of Noch summer grass with flowers - (didn't keep details from 2008 when bought)
Woodland scenics coarse turf in burnts grass
Woodland scenics coarse turf in dark green
Some I think, Jarvis dark green scatter (used to represent wet hollows)
and those two other items sand for the track, with almost white fine ballast to look like daisies !!

After the base coat and good covering of the dark green flock everything else is just added by
eye to get roughly what I want.
Buy a selection and try on a small board - the only way to learn
is to plunge in !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:39 am

Further to last nights posting I'll try and photograph a selection of scatters to
let people see what the products I use look like.

I've not used Hanging Basket liner which from what I've seen seems to give a good
bramble to longer grass effect. Perhaps one of our basket liner users can give a more
detailed explanation and pictures of results.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

Entirely fortuitously I have today had a first go with hanging basket liner! Here's a photo of it entirely "bare", nothing added! It could be improved and this was a very cheap example (two large liners for the pound (guess where)). For dried out, uncared for, look it's OK I think. Would certainly be a cheap and quick way to do a relatively large area. Mine is simply PVA to card and left to dry for near 24 hours and then the backing ripped off.

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Dad-1

Re: Types Of Scenic Material

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Nice one whynot !

This I hope will help others starting to build a collection of groundcover scatters.
Apart from not having tried hanging basket liner I've not used static grass from either a puffer bottle,
or home made static tea strainer dispenser. So perhaps we can get that aded to what I hope will be a
collection of useful information.

My most popular trio :-
The first layer Woodland Scenics, a fine rubbery feeling fine granule
Second & main layer Gaugemaster
Jarvis flock of my lighter mixtures
Again regularly used in limited areas
This used alongside the other 'lighter mixture' being a long strand ideal for static dispensing
Gaugemaster mixture by Noch, again used to produce different colour patches
The Noch 'flower mixture, bought years ago and I didn't note exactly what it was !!

Start another posting as this now fills the page as I'm working

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Another part :-

Another long strand flock most suitable for static dispensing although I use by scattering
Woodland coarse turf - this can be rolled into a ball, or longer sausage, first loose 'burnt turf'
Woodland scenics coarse turf in dark green, here rolled into a ball
Now into my lesser used Jarvis scatter, this is more of a round leaf type in bright green
and used more than the bright colour, a dark green, but often a little of both used.
Now to one of the other types of Woodland Scenic - Foliage that comes as a mat from which you tear or cut requirements
Now into my Hornby sawdust type that I don't use much
A brown mix, looks like bark used as a weed surpressor on some gardens and may make a path.
Then we have a moorland mix - my problem with both these is that it's a little too coarse

Now that only missed out one unknown mix that was decanted into a small bottle that I can't find !!
Anyone else with other ranges please add as this can act as a guide to what each product looks like.

Geoff T.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:41 pm

A truly impressive selection, Geoff!

For the "base", I do rather like the scourers:

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Whynot,

Without knowing you've managed to include :-
What looks like Woodland Scenics Lichen bushes alongside your hedge.

I'm not convinced about pan scourers on the ground, However I believe they do make a
good base for smaller well trimmed hedges up to around 25 mm. You can even have double
thickness as the height increases. Not used that yet, but have it in mind for the future.

Geoff T.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 pm

"Without knowing you've managed to include :-
What looks like Woodland Scenics Lichen bushes alongside your hedge."

Lichen certainly - not sure of the brand! Plus kiln dried sand (I have a huge bag that I used for DIY filling of "trenches" in solid floor when fitting new flooring!) and summer mix scatter (Woodland Scenics?).

I do prefer scourers to cardboard - and all scenics are slot-in removeable "modules". Easily changed for improved/different versions - and brought indoors for winter!
dave j
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Beynac

Re: Types Of Scenic Material

Postby Beynac » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am

Very interesting and very helpful.
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image

Return to “Scenery”