Seamoss Trees.

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
NickB

Seamoss Trees.

Postby NickB » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Can anyone recommend a good technique for making seamoss trees? :? :?:

Mighty

Re: Seamoss Trees.

Postby Mighty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 pm

I recently purchased a 'forest in a box' from International Models - I've no link to them other than as a satisfied customer.

This is the ten step method I used:

1.) Select the 'tree' looking seamoss cuttings. Any offcuts or scraps can be used for hedging.
2.) Trim to the shape that you want the tree to look like. Do some research - do you want oak trees or birch trees? They look very different!
3.) If you are making oak trees, I'd advise painting on 'tree bark', a flexible glue-like substance (again, available from International Models or Anita Decor) onto the trunk to bulk it up. Alternatively, add a bit of modelling clay.
4.) Spray paint with a brown, tree like paint. I used railmatch sleeper grime, simply because I had some spare cans left over from my tracklaying.
5.) Once dry, insert the tree into a small tub of whatever glue you are using, either 50/50 PVA/Water or the flexible glue that's often provided with the box. Twizzle the seamoss around until all the branches, but not the trunk, is covered.
6.) Remove the seamoss tree from the glue, letting the excess glue drip off back into the tub.
7.) Hold the glued tree over another container. Sprinkle the tree with whatever flocking you are using. Try and use two separate colours - not all trees are a uniform colour!
8.) Set aside onto newspaper to dry and repeat the steps above for other trees so you have a production line.
9.) Once they are dry, spray with the cheapest extra-hold hairspray you can find, and scatter some more flocking over it. Spray again with hairspray.
10.) Leave to dry.

And hey presto, you have a mini-forest! Here are my recently completed trees:

"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

NickB

Postby NickB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Wow :shock: they look great! I hope mine end up looking like that. Thanks for the advice, i'll try that........ :D

markh

Postby markh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

i have got a box of seamoss trees & i can tell you they are a great investment
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Thediz42

Postby Thediz42 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Seamoss costs a fortune from major model suppliers. It's a plant that you can grow at home available from seed suppliers on line, well that will save me a stack of money

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 pm

SORRY double post :oops:
Mark.
Last edited by BROADTRAIN1979 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi, I used to use garden twiggs which made great trees mind you that was on the old model .Sea moss trees look better, i have bought a box off ebay for £6,99 for eight not bad although a fair wait they had to come from china :)

Mark.
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Scruffyhippo

Postby Scruffyhippo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I use twigs too, and cover with lichen, never used seamoss, just did a quick search on Ebay and nothing listed in the UK

Return to “Scenery”