PVA - does it dry clear??? Mine doesn't?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
dan8400

PVA - does it dry clear??? Mine doesn't?

Postby dan8400 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:11 am

Hi,

I am using a large tub of PVA i bought. Did a bit of glue-ing a couple of nights ago and it's still white. Will it eventualy dry clear? Or is it the wrong sort of PVA (if there is such a thing)

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

raistlin295

Re: PVA - does it dry clear??? Mine doesn't?

Postby raistlin295 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 am

Dan,

As far as I'm aware, cheaper PVA adhesive is bulked out with chalk which means it doesn't dry colourless, instead looking a milky white.

I use the Admix PVA available at Wickes. It dries clear and is reasonably cheap in 5L bottles.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Also consider temperature. In a cold environment PVA will take longer to cure and hence to clear. (I am not inferring that is your problem its just a note from an old carpenter who has used gallons of the stuff)
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks slackbladder, I was hoping that was the case. Need to sort proper heating in the railway room.

I will keep in mind about cheap PVA so thanks to you raistlin295 as well

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

the flying irishman

Postby the flying irishman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:53 pm

So, if I bought some good quality pva, and poured some into a specially designed water-course set aside on my baseboard... would it dry clear to make a stream? :?: :idea:

cheers, lewis.
Lest we forget.

"Due to too much time, too much money, and lack of a girlfreind; I model."

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 pm

I have read that some modelers do use pva to create water, however I think most use clear varnish. The best answer I can give you is why not simply try pva on a small test area?
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

dieselbob

Postby dieselbob » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:18 am

Hi Dan
I used Resin W woodwork adhesive to create a small pond on my layout, because I read somewhere that it dries clear.
Unfortunately after a couple of months it was still milky, I did put it on thick in an attempt to get some depth. I painted it over this morning and will go back to my old method of a few coats clear varnish.
Cheers
Bob

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:23 am

As always, test on a small area to see how much is required
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am

For streams and shallow puddles I've always used polyurethane varnish. Dries with a shiny surface but just a bit darker when you peer into it. I think PVA dries to almost clear, a thin layer seems OK to me for a window but the greater the depth the cloudier it seems to get. Mind you, last year I bought some for the first time in fifteen years after finishing the stock I found when told at work "if you throw out everything in that room, you can use for a workshop." It came in 5litre bottles, unbranded but labelled "School Glue"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

the flying irishman

Postby the flying irishman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Ok, cheers, ill probably use the varnish then! When making water features, has anyone applied layers of varnish or all in one go?
Cheers, lewis.
Lest we forget.

"Due to too much time, too much money, and lack of a girlfreind; I model."

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm

the flying irishman wrote:Ok, cheers, ill probably use the varnish then! When making water features, has anyone applied layers of varnish or all in one go?
Cheers, lewis.

Yes. It goes horribly wrinkly :(
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Have you considered using quick drying clear varnish ?
A normal coating will be dry in 15 minuits, so re-coating layers is quicker than polyurathane, Although I used polyurethane varnish on my canal, 1coat took a day to dry (cold weather slows drying also).

Whatever you choose to use, then dont apply it too thickly, & as already advised; test on a small area first, as, if you apply cetain types of paint/varnish on top of another type of paint/varnish you may encounter a reaction between different types, (blistering, crazing, etc).

Keep in mind also that the first coating of "quick drying" varnish/paints will always 'raise the grain' of bare pine/softwood & It will bow & twist large area's of bare plywood under 9mm thick , a very gentle fine sandpapering between coats will cure raised grain on pine.

As for bare plywood, varnish/paint both sides of plywood if possible ASAP as to counter-act the bending. (Quickdrying is 'water-based' & its the depth limit of water penetration that makes the wood fibres swell causing plywood to curl & bend).
But if using polyurethane varnish, then these above effects will not be so extreme.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:44 pm

When I was a kid I had a plastic resin moulding kit that was used to make keyrings, paperweights etc.

That resin could be poured quite deep and as a result you could encapsulate small items and there was never a wrinkle to be seen.

I wonder if such material is still available and whether it would make realistic water-based scenic effects?
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Raistlin, that description sounds like a product generally known as Clear casting resin , I created an inch depth with a single application when I used this product for my 1st canal modelling project that I made in 1994.
Clear casting resin was a rare product to obtain back then, & I'm not sure about the availability of this now, due to possible reasons I've said below.
It consisted of a 2 part compound in a metal container ( 1part to 6part mixing I think was required ).

I'm not sure, but I think the health & safety issues were regarded as too risky for the average or inexperienced, or incompetant modeller, as I think if mixing was'nt done properly, the heat generated during the curing process would lead to possible combustion/fire risk caused by the uneven mix curing in a poorly ventilated room or confined area.

I remember it gave the room a highly, maybe slightly toxic fumes/smell, a rather similar smell to that of liquid poly or similar 'plastic weld' solvents.
The curing to set reasonalbly hard took 2 days.

There was (or still is) another product made by Woodland Scenics which consisted of a bag of yellowish/white /clear/opaque pea sized pellets which you'd heat up in an old saucepan to make a pourable liquid, I remember reading that it could be possible to re-use it if removed, broken up, & re-heated/melted.

De-luxe modelling materials make a product called E-Z water (or something like that) also.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:41 pm

Yes Dave,

Thinking back, I remember the characteristic smell and I also remember that if the mixing wasn't done properly, the heat could melt the plastic cup we sometimes used to do the mixing in.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

Return to “Scenery”