Station to platform height difference

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
musketter

Station to platform height difference

Postby musketter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I have got the platforms built, and I am now ready to get some buildings. I have now realized that if you put the building in front of the platform they are at different levels.

My son wants these station buildings http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Sc ... -r8798.htm

I guess I will have to raise the base of the building up to the level of the platform, but how do you disguise this ? steps ? slope ? I have looked through over 30 mags and goggled it, but most pics show the station from the track and not the other side.

Any pics or links would be great

Thanks, Keith & Ben
Last edited by musketter on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
But it only broke when I dropped it

ste234

Re: Station to platform height difference

Postby ste234 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 am

Don't know if this helps, but I have the same building only in N gauge, and I have positioned it like this:

I do plan on making some steps and ramps for the back when I get round to it :lol:
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 am

In most town centres the road and pedestrian area is at the same height as the top of the platforms
As a result the rail lines are sunken

Equally, the road and pedestrian area can be at a different level
As a result there is often a dual ramped and stepped access, or in some cases a walkway under the track
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Railway modellers build on perfectly flat boards, the prototype doesn't so there is always spoil to be got rid of. Often this is used to build up the area behind the platforms so the forecourt/building etc has level access to the platforms as m8 suggests, though the forecourt itself is rarely completely flat and level. There are exceptions, stations in cuttings and on embankments being obvious ones.

On a model, unless you fancy building up your car park, I would either do what Ste has done or extend the bottom of the building downwards using Wills sheet or similar, and provide a ramp or steps.

Have a look on Google Streetview at Goathland, which is built on a steeply sloping hillside. If you stand on the bridge at the entrance to the station you can see two red doors on the rear of the station. Those are level with the platform - the building continues down to ground level with steps to one door and a ramp to the other. Public access is directly onto the platform via the gate, not though the building.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Old stations were built with lower platforms, as things have changed and the track raised, for whatever reason, the platform has become higher than the level of the station. I've noticed a few examples in south Yorkshire, Mexborough and one of the Pontefract stations spring to mind, though there are others around the country. The main thing is that there should be a 6ft gap between the edge of the building and the platform edge.

Return to “Scenery”