Adding signalling to my layout

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
scotterdavid

Adding signalling to my layout

Postby scotterdavid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Hello,

I'm not convinced that "signalling" fits in to this forum really well. On one level, however, I regard signalling as part of the scenery -- I'm aware of how complex signalling is in the real world and so there is no way that I would like to model it properly. What I would like to do is to enable signalling for my passing loops.

Essentially what I have is a single loop with two passing loops. The layout is too small for blocks per sae, however does anyone out there have any tips on how to do the signalling to model access the passing loops, please?

Best -- David.

Bufferstop

Re: Adding signalling to my layout

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Semaphore or colour light? Working or dummy?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi
Assuming colour lights are to be used?
Then how about a two aspect (Red/Green or Red/Yellow) controlling the exit from each loop?
Simply wire each signal via a point operated switch. PL13 or micro switch operated by the point controlling the exit to the loop.
So as when the point is position 1 the signal for that direction is Green (or Yellow) and signal 2 on the other direction is Red.
Move over the point and signal 1 returns to Red and signal 2 goes to Green (or Yellow).

Entrance to the loops are controlled by a two or three aspect colour light with a 'feather' route indicator on top. The feather being left or right handed depending on which is the main line direction and which is the loop. The handing of the feather showing the loops direction.

The feathers lamp being wired again via another PL13 point operated switch or micro switch on the point that controls the entrance to the loop. Two aspect needs no connection to the two exit signals. A three aspect needing some form of connection from the signals ahead aspects to ensure correct aspect sequence.

So its easier to use two aspect signals throughout.
:D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm

If it's a traditional loop set up for left-hand running, you don't need the feathers. Just a home signal (red arm semaphore or 3-aspect colourlight) on the single line protecting the entrance to the loop, and a starter/section signal at the end of the loop (red arm semaphore or two aspect), in each direction.

Clearing the home signal permits the train into the left hand line of each loop. Clearing the starter permits the train to leave the loop and enter the next bit of single line. If you need to go down the right hand side of the loop (i.e. in the wrong direction) that would be done by a handsignal or telephone instruction from the box. You can make it a lot more complicated if you want to but that's the simplest set up.

Strictly speaking you should have a distant signal (yellow arm or yellow/green colourlight) on the approach to each home, far enough back to give the driver time to brake to a stand before the home, but unless it's a massive layout I wouldn't bother. They'd be getting on for 1/2 mile out in real life.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi
stuartp is correct if you only ever want straight ahead running into just one of the two passing loop roads.
Personally I prefer a choice, hence I went for the Feather really called a 'Junction Indicator' on top of the colour light home signal.
This then allows full use of both loops, especially so if the loops have platforms. They then can be used for either direction of travel (bi-directional working) from the single line.

Signalling is then repeated for the opposite direction of travel.
You could (if wished) electrically interlock the signalling to prevent a proceed aspect being displayed when the route is set of the opposite direction of travel.

But we don't really know what you're planning or intending to use signalling wise!

buz

Postby buz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi
Basically you need six signals they could be color light two or three aspect or semaphore two or three position
At each end of the loop you have two departure signals and one arrival signal you can if you wish have a low speed shunt on the arrival signal or a shunt disk.
The arrival signal should have an indication for the main and loop whether that is a junction indicator or separate signal is up to you
How complex you make the workings is up to you say you have basically cut the layout into two sections
well if you wish you can put an intermediate signal in for both directions at the section break.
If the signals are working ones at the very least set them up so opposing signals cannot be set..
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

scotterdavid

Postby scotterdavid » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your advice regarding signaling for passing sidings/loops. I'm getting the picture to some extent. The following web page sort of explains the situation --
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/detection3.htm. I'm modeling an American railroad, and so I'm not sure to what extent "feather" type signals translate over to the USA. As I say I've got the basic idea that there should potentially be three signals at each end of the passing loop, and I guess they could all be controlled by the turnouts. Does anyone know if it's possible to combine train detection and "turnout controlled" signals? If so, are there any systems worth looking in to or are these things usually home grown?

Best -- David.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi
As your modelling US working rather than UK perhaps a new question needs asking in the 'Electronic' part of the forum?
Specifying you're modelling US prototype and signalling.

All the best with your quest. :D

Return to “Scenery”