Coal depot thingy, what buildings?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
egroeg93

Coal depot thingy, what buildings?

Postby egroeg93 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey everyone, I need a little advice/inspiration as to what i can put in a space where i want a sort of coal depot thingy. I have a frightliner 66 with 3 100 ton HHA wagons and have decided to leave a 2x3 feet-ish area in one corner of the board where i will have a through loop where I could put a coal mine place.. lol as you've probably guessed i dont know what i'm talking about, I just want a bit of scenary, preferably something that loads/unloads coal :P. Can anyone just suggest kits/ready-made buildings that are used in modern coal industry?? I had a look on google maps (for plans/ideas, not models 8) ) and cant find anything..

many thanx for your help ;)

John Geeeee

Re: Coal depot thingy, what buildings?

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Knightwing have recently started selling this http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1264027782.116&product=OO-HO_Building_Kits&pid=176. Does this help? Depends how modern you want it I suppose.

Cheers
John Geeeee
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply mate, It's not really what i'm after but i'm no expert. I'm looking for something a bit more large-scale, that seems more a local coal pit.

cheers

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Can someone tell me is this strictly for refueling steam locos?

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm not suprised you couldn't find anything on Google, the 'modern British coal industry' consists of about three pits and some opencast. Most of the stuff in your HHAs will be imported, on its way from a dock to a power station.

Woolley 1983ish cropped.jpg
Woolley 1983ish cropped.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

This was West Side Washery at Woolley near Barnsley in about 1983. It's a rotten pic, sorry, but it was taken from a long way up with an instamatic camera. It was brand new then, and state of the art. The rapid loading bunkers are the two grey towers in the top right hand corner, the large dark grey structure is the washery itself. Lots of concrete and dark grey box profile steel and it's huge !

If your HHAs were being loaded at a bunker in this country it would look something like this. Shortly afterwards I was lucky enough to get a tour of Westoe colliery in the north-east. The loading point there was a massive concrete pad with 4-wheel bucket loaders loading HAAs. No bunkers or other expensive infrastructure, just coal stockpile on one side and MGR train on the other. (I presume there was a conveyor there somewhere bring coal to the loading point but I can't remember). You might be better with something like that, grey cardboard for the concrete pad and a couple of Knightwing Portakabins.

Edit: If this works, this is the loading point at Chalmerston opencast in Ayrshire - just a concrete pad with a conveyor and stockpile. You can even see the yellow bucket loader trundling about.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=waterside&sll=55.423558,-4.564819&sspn=0.428644,1.231842&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Waterside,+East+Ayrshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.337624,-4.41586&spn=0.001678,0.004812&t=h&z=18
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Ook, so i think i'll go more for un-loading at a power station.. So thats just coal falling out the bottom of the wagons I take it?

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm

I've found a power station on google maps thats helping me :)

can see coal being unloaded in a building here, so i assume its just going underground..:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=s_ ... 01725&z=19

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Underground then by conveyor to the stock pile or straight to the boilers via the conveyors below the unloading point. I think the other unloading point (just above and across the road from the MGR train) is to unload limestone for the flue gas desulphurisation plant, which I'm guessing is that collection of round white silos at the top of the site.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 am

egroeg93 wrote:Can someone tell me is this strictly for refueling steam locos?

Not necessarily, it could also be used to refuel coal fired diesel locos too.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

Return to “Scenery”