00 scale lorries

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
bootneckbob

Re: 00 scale lorries

Postby bootneckbob » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am

Great work Jim. I'm a long way off adding details like lorries and vans to my layout but seeing your work I'm actually looking foward to it!

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:10 pm

A few more vehicles for New Street, starting with...

The VW beetle (this is probably asking for trouble!)  Both from Oxford Diecast.  On the left I filed off the canvas roof and filled the back window to make an earlier oval window version. This is based on the actual car that a chap I used to work with owned but he did a load of modifications to it not long after he found it in a barn.  On the right a 'cal-look' version. I ground of the bodyside trim and that on the bonnet off as well as filling in the holes for the bumpers.  The front suspension has been lowered and on the back some wheels from a Cararama Porsche.

Long time followers might be aware of my liking of the good old Mk2 Transit.  My small fleet being a combination of ABS bonnets and Corgi bodies.  However now theres Tiny City.  A Hong Kong company that does MK2 transits ready to plonk. All of far eastern prototypes and mostly bus type bodies (they do a handy looking ambulance by the way).  This one was stripped and re-liveried into British Transport Police livery. My liking of the mundane is pretty well obvious by now however the BTP offices were at  New Street station in the 80s and there was always a police vehicle or 2 parked at the station.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:34 pm

With my first demo in a few years (my first exhibition in any form in a few years actually) coming up in a few weeks*, I thought it an idea to do a couple of in progress lorries as a change to all the finished stuff I usually drag along to this sort of thing.

Both are Langley kits and were chosen for absolutely no other reason than they popped up cheaply on ebay!  OK they were a little interesting anyway and i thought the dumpy little Dodge 5 ton tipper truck was kinda cute.  The Milk tanker is a Leyland Beaver and both hail from the end of the 40s so they would likely be pretty tired by the time they reach Brettell Road. The make do and mend attitude of the Black Country would mean they might soldier on for that long but the impending Motor Vehicles (Tests) Regulations of 1960 must mean their days are likely numbered!

*see here https://p4newstreet.com/category/news/

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Bit of a mixed bag this time,  Ive been raiding the toy box again!

Starting with the Commer BF. Available as an ancient Lesney toy it came in 2 types, a TV repair van and a food truck with open sides. The wheels were replaced with RTI ones and the central pillar in the windscreen filed down as far as I dared. I increased the width of the door window and added the bodyside detail from 10 thou microstrip.

Next up the good old Corgi MAN cab.  I fancied something a little different so I converted it to the longer cab version. It sits on an Oxford diecast chassis.

Remember the Tiny City police van I did? At the time I mentioned they also did a decent looking ambulance and this is it. I removed the Hong Kong markings. Painted the window frames black and the blue lights were given a coat of Tamiya clear blue (as supplied they were clear).  I figured since I work for the ambulance service I probably should have one somewhere. Don't worry I'm not planning any car crash cliché scenes!

Finally the little Langley models Dodge tipper. As suggested I swapped the lights for some smaller ones (again RTI)

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:41 pm

Just a couple of pictures of the 2 older vehicles in the last post making themselves at home on Brettell Road.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Ah the Commer van with its sliding doors. Never be tempted to roar up to the line and stick your head out to see what's coming from the right, instant decapitation! It opened far enough back to build up quite some momentum by the time it was level with your seat back. There was supposed to be a little catch to hold the door but it was pretty useless.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Scenery”