00 scale lorries

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
grahamt

00 scale lorries

Post by grahamt »

Hiya, just thought I'd share something I've found. I was in Tesco and I found some vehicles in the toys aisle. Don't ask why I was in the toys aisle...
Anyway, I've found that they sell an artic. lorry, and a fuel tanker. They are a surprisingly close scale to 00, and I don't think they look out of place. If anything they're a tiny bit small, but I don't think it's noticeable.
Of course, they are Tesco 'liveried' and aren't packed with details, but they are very easy to customize. I'm painting a few extra details such as lights and registration plates, exhaust fumes etc. etc. This instantly makes them look much better. And the cab is detachable, if you just want that, or just the trailer.

And the best bit:
They're £1.30 :mrgreen:

Here are photos of the two I bought, with a man to show the scale:

They do sell cars too but they are definitely too big for 00.
Best wishes,

Graham ~
egroeg93

Re: 00 scale lorries

Post by egroeg93 »

good find there :)
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

My good old WH Smiths ford cargo has been photographed to death. However the combination of the Corgi Cab and the chassis off a Base toys Leyland FG is an easy one and results in decent looking little models.

Last night I bunged a couple more together using the FG flat bed (adapted a bit) to represent a scaffold gangers lorry and the sides form the old Hornby curtain sided van as a base for a curtain sided box body.

The cabs are not secured in place yet and thus a tad wobbly!

Cheers

Jim
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

A few more 4mm scale vehicles that started life in the Corgi toybox

as above with a scratchbuilt box body

This can started out as a 20p toy bus. I filled the windows and swapped the wheels for something better looking. (for those interested this is what it started out as.

Finally, not corgi this one. The Base toys leyland roadtrain grafted onto the Knightwing foden tippler kit.

Cheers

Jim
Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Post by Vigo »

Regarding the first post, the Tesco lorries.
Forgive me if I'm wrong here but most of the lorries I see of this kind - ie the dry goods trailer - seem to be the twin axle 6x4 arrangement tractor unit. I know the twin axle has a higher permissible road weight (44 tonnes) than the single (41 tonnes) but I also believe they're cheaper on road tax too.... new ones anyway, Euro emission friendly engines and all that :roll: , hence cheaper to run and therefore more attractive to someone like Tesco, who have hundreds of them.

Any truck drivers here confirm this?

Oh, and lose the low profile tyres... they're crap on working trucks :lol:

<<<Rivet CounterMode OFF >>>

Nice find anyway. Shame they don't do a N version :roll:
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Another pic from me. A couple of modified Corgi trackside transit vans.

Cheers

Jim
Si_Donal

Post by Si_Donal »

Great 70's and 80's wagons! I got a couple of Base Toys cheap (£1.50) from a local model shop. I added lettering from a Modelmasters set of transfers for private owner wagons. I also weatherd it a little and painted in the lines of the doors (I got this tip from a military modeller) , it changed a cheap model into something that I am quite proud of.

Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hi All

Back to my lorries. I have been producing a little pile of bodies while I stock pile cabs

from left to right

back row

refrigerated box (short WB large wheels), destined for Kraft livery and a Cargo cab. The refrigerator is adapted from a Unit models air conditioner.

Another box body (long WB small wheels) destined for another Cargo cab, this one will be in Sunblest livery

Box (long WB large wheels) destined for a MAN cab and BRS livery

Curtain sider, this one will be a generic. plain livery

front row

Flatbed destined for a Matchbox Dodge cab

Another flatbed which as can be seen is going to be in Jewson colours.

The Corgi Cargo cab is a smidge too wide for 4mm scale but not enough to make hacking it into 3 bits and sticking it all back together worth while.

Cheers

Jim
Last edited by Jim S-W on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ie 201

Post by ie 201 »

Yep, bought a few too, currently painting and converting them to different liveries. They look to be nearer to 3mm scale though, ah well they do for the road behind the railway station on my layout.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Vigo wrote:Regarding the first post, the Tesco lorries.
Forgive me if I'm wrong here but most of the lorries I see of this kind - ie the dry goods trailer - seem to be the twin axle 6x4 arrangement tractor unit. I know the twin axle has a higher permissible road weight (44 tonnes) than the single (41 tonnes) but I also believe they're cheaper on road tax too.... new ones anyway, Euro emission friendly engines and all that :roll: , hence cheaper to run and therefore more attractive to someone like Tesco, who have hundreds of them.

Any truck drivers here confirm this?

Oh, and lose the low profile tyres... they're crap on working trucks :lol:

<<<Rivet CounterMode OFF >>>

Nice find anyway. Shame they don't do a N version :roll:
Hi Vigo,
Not being in Engerland I can't confirm this, but most of your prime movers (units / tractors) are 4X2, or 6X2 with an extra, axle, which isn't driven, but only distributes the weight. These are usually air lift, some automatically, with load sensors.
On the contrary, nearly all of ours are bogie drive, (double drive to you) which I much prefer, having driven both.
Pete.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

A bit more progress to report today

MAN version in various stages. The one on the far right is standard Corgi. Not sure what to do with this one yet.

Cargo's, quite fond of the Jewson one!

Cheers

Jim
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Sorry Jim. I meant to put in that I thought the mod's to the trucks are really good, though you really ought to have a few of them 'on the hook,' they are fords after all. :)
Pete.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

so jim......I'm guessing you like lorries......am I correct :P ;) :lol:

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hiya

Not really but they are addictive! When you base your model on a city you need a LOT of road vehicles (mostly buses though). As the standard has to be the same across the board the research and attention to detail has to be the same weather its something I am not that interested in, or something I love!

Cheers

Jim
Craig60

Post by Craig60 »

Some very nice looking trucks.

The green Leyland Tipper looks very nice indeed. I have just bought the Flatbed roadtrain off fleabay. Is the entire body diecast? or just the chassis?