Back to Nature! Alternative Trees!

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Terrier

Back to Nature! Alternative Trees!

Postby Terrier » Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Spiders making a nuiscance of themselves in the loft/shed on your layout? I used to hate the horrible 8 legged blighters ...but this afternoon i had a rare brainwave! ...'I hate cobwebs because i'm always walking into them and their sticky... the spiders in my shed are currently going to town stringing everything up with webs ...no matter how much i clear t....' HANG ON?? This stuff is annoying because it's sticky?? hmmmm? ...and i've been using an old pencil to clear them out of the corners and stuff ...hmmm??? :? :?: :?:

BLING!! IDEA! :idea: :idea:

I have been drying out some Hydrangea flower heads in a corner of the shed with a view to using them as the trunk and branches of future tress for my layout when it takes shape! (soon soon) I am lucky to have this plant growing mad at the bottom of the garden... very useful. :wink:

....Here's one i dried earlier...

...This is the common result after drying and removing the dead petals..

...so i thought, "why not use these 'trees to be' to remove the cobwebs?"

And then turn the annoying arachnid's webs to my advantage? ...now for the woodlands scenic 'underbrush' material!

Here are some of the immediate results ...(glad the sun was shining! :D )

The larger of the two might need a trim at the base?

Possibly a good idea is to use fixative (hairspray or the such ...there are products available specifically for this purpose i think?) ...as i'm not sure of the 'stickiness shelflife' of cobwebs?

So there you go ...remove cobwebs and make trees! :D

Hope this inspires.

Regards

Terrier.

kingsnorton

Re: Back to Nature! Alternative Trees!

Postby kingsnorton » Sun May 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Very original, maybe you could put the spiders on the Payroll, I would let them have one web to themselves though they may starve.

Dave.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon May 26, 2008 9:05 am

I don't know where to start, when I started reading it I thought oh no, this is going to be terrible, but it wasn't! Good results, if a little spooky with the slight evidence of web showing!
A spray with hairspray [get the cheapest Supermarket own brand] will fix them and also allow you to add more foliage to the less sticky parts of the web.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 am

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 pm

lol ...yep, it might not be everyone's cup of tea ...i got the tweasers out and removed some 'objects' ...sort of grim ..but the 'daddy long leg jobs' are going mad in my shed since i had a good clear up... the more 'unusable' webs are scheduled later today for removal into a high powered Dyson! :wink: :)

kingsnorton

Postby kingsnorton » Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Just thinking how lucky you are to have Spiders in your shed and attic, here in Australia I have Gecko Lizards stomping over my layout like Godzilla, these things are about 4 inches long and leave their dung behind them as they go, here is a link to a picture of one of the little monsters.

Any suggestions on how I can put them to good use on a British OO layout would be most appreciated.

http://www.komododragon.biz/system/gui/ ... n05Ben.jpg

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Mon May 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Now that's a challenge!! :lol: ...to be honest i'm glad we haven't got some of the spiders you chaps have got! :shock:

Perhaps you could have a scaled down jurassic park enclosure ...where these critters can run about in a valley on their way to munch spids etc with a viaduct over it?? :idea:

...and i'm not even contemplating using their dung as ballast! LOL! :lol: :lol:

Cheers fella! :wink:

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Almost 4 years on from making the trees above, i have it on good authority that they are still in good shape, despite being knocked about a bit in transit to a few shows on my old clubs n gauge Ropley layout. definately use fixative spray, hairspray etc afterwards, this just keeps in place the scenic material that is not in contact with the web, as the stuff crumbles all over the place with the slightest movement, creating a bit of a mess if trees are overhanging track.

Return to “Scenery”