Henley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: Henley

Postby Chops » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:53 am

IMG_20210306_185046.jpg

IMG_20210306_185054.jpg

Sold a kidney and picked up this rather nice Hornby Class 71, which I vaguely recollect from my salad days in the UK back in '67/'68. Tomorrow will clean up the track and break it in. Remind me to glue the tree back in place.
Nessie rocks!

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:02 am

Nice! Is this one of your kidneys or is some tourist waking up in a bath full of ice as we speak?
Regards
Rob

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am

Yes, well, dialysis is cheaper by the kilo. I paid up for these beasts, but have no regrets at all, they are superb in every way. Best of all the
mechanisms are Gold Standard, and creep or gallop effortlessly. Usually, I try to keep it down to four minutes or less, I mean who really wants
to watch someone else's trains continually orbiting a confined space? I heard this Peter Townshend song for the first time this evening, whilst
returning from annoying errands, and felt I must bump it. Always remarkable how some of the best R&R artists hale from the UK.

https://youtu.be/i1_uXri3APM
Nessie rocks!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Chops, you can legitimately run the CL61 with the pan down, it was only used in sidings and yards where a third rail would be too dangerous. Breaks in the third rail at crossings were taken at a high enough speed to jump the gap, which led to the occasional "gapping" and assistance being required, which in turn led to the development of the electro-diesels (now class 73). The need for wiring in yards, on the end of steam gave rise to the 09 shunters, 08's with bigger wheels to keep the outside rods from hitting the third rail when out on the line.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:33 pm

That is interesting information, this "gapping." Perhaps I could install miniature diesel motors in all my equipment to counter the effects of my bad track laying! :D
Nessie rocks!

bjk87

Postby bjk87 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:50 pm

That is interesting information on cricket

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon May 31, 2021 7:09 am

https://youtu.be/3r5UWILMNMo

Last several purchases from Hornby have been exceptionally satisfactory. Recently, after selling off some excess North American stuff, I went on a bit of a spree at Hornby's website. I will tell you, I paid close attention to Sam's Trains Reviews (I know have some issues with him, but he has been a godsend to me). So, after gently breaking these in, I shot a little video. No humor added, this time around, just that I am in awe of these pieces and cannot fathom the depth of effort that went into them.

Sorry to double post, it's just that not everyone read's my bilge water, and I wanted to expose these amazing creations as much as I could.
Nessie rocks!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon May 31, 2021 11:47 am

Two nice looking locomotives, Chops.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:05 am

glencairn wrote:Two nice looking locomotives, Chops.

Glencairn

Thank you, wish I could take the credit. I am truly awestruck at some of the beautiful pieces that not only look amazing, but function amazing, coming out of the UK, if one knows where to look. Previously, I was upon the mercy of eBay, and a few fortunate purchases of this Forum. Sorry to double post, but I wanted to promote this Rapdido J 70. Any outfit that puts as much discipline and ingenuity into creating such a benchmark piece deserves the notice. This post is not really about me, but about the astonishing work of Rapdido, Hornby, and finally Bachmann is getting a grip and putting out some fantastic locomotives (and I had sworn a lifetime ban on B'mann until their Duke Dog erased my skepticism).

In fact, the only credit I can take is working a lot of hours and selling a lot of redundant North American stuff on Fee Bay. I am beginning to sense there will come a day that I divest of North American entirely so I can focus time and money on British OO, to which I find is immeasurably interesting.

Hope the vid is worth watching. I myself am just mesmerized by these Hornby and Rapido products.

https://youtu.be/l691cFQJyGE
Nessie rocks!

Chops

Escape to the Scottish Hills

Postby Chops » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:03 am

Bugged by the Lock Down? Have we got a ride for you.

https://youtu.be/xBg5ET37lzE
Nessie rocks!

captrees

Postby captrees » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 am

That was fun, Chops. I like to see another layout that isn't constrained by geography. Or history, for that matter. :lol: 8)

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 am

I think you'll need some starship troopers to see to that cockroach.
Regards
Rob

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 am

I hope the little people do not 'frighten our Nessie'. She is rather shy you know.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Chops

Moving Brits and Twigs

Postby Chops » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:15 am

The saga continues. I will keep my eyes open for a Starship **** Roach Laser Blaster.

https://youtu.be/_HTFj1CTRd4
Nessie rocks!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 am

Yes, that would be good. I am sure the DoD will have something suitable, but of course we ordinary mortals cannot have it...

Just had the first Hornet of the season on the layout, and put paid to it with a handily available spray of acetone. This works like alcohol in humans, administers a mighty punch to the nervous system. What with insect respiration being very fast through the spiracles
and the relatively small body size of insects the effect is near instant. You then have to kill it while it is down because they do come round quite quickly and are 'excited' (hungover?) when they do so.; which is significant when they can sting, and like to do so...

captrees wrote:That was fun, Chops. I like to see another layout that isn't constrained by geography. Or history, for that matter.

YES! Roman mosaics, why didn't I think of that? My modelling zone actually runs within a quarter mile of a genuine one...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”