Updating coach interiors?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
End2end

Updating coach interiors?

Postby End2end » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 pm

I have a Train-Tech CL1 Motion sensing LED coach lighting strip that came with a 2nd hand loco.
The strip only lights the main seating area of my Hornby Class 121 not the end driving cabs so I want to try to add 2 extra LED's to the strip to light both cabs.
I have thought about cutting the strip into a couple of pieces (which I may still do) so it will go around the 2 full coach height, vertical screw coloumns that hold the body on (as the strip is rigid and over to one side of the roof rather than directly in the middle), but even so the LED's wouldn't reach the cabs thus the idea to add 2 more LED's to the strips.
Has anyone tried adding extra LED's to one of these strips?
It looks easy enough to solder extra LED's on but would the CR2032 light the 2 extra LED's? And would I need a resistor on each of the added LED's long leg?
(I only have 1K resistors at present)

Also as a side note... Has anyone tried installing directional lighting into this model?
It's a Hornby Class 121 Driving Motor Brake ' W55020 ' R2644 DCC ready (with a Lenz Standard+ decoder installed at the moment)
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

stuartp

Re: Updating coach interiors?

Postby stuartp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 pm

105 interior respored to (as far as I can tell) 'as built' condition - https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/8564801596

121 ditto - http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/Images/1 ... oxon-c.jpg (more photos on the same site)

4-wheelers - can you actually see through the windows ? Make it up, Hornby did !

No references for GWR interiors, sorry.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:12 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned the liveries
GREEN Bachmann Class 105 DMU with speed whiskers. It's packed away at the moment but I think the interior is plain brown.
CHOCOLATE AND CREAM Airfix Autocoach with a plain cream coloured interior
CHOCOLATE AND CREAM Hornby Class 121 Bubblecar with a plain dark blue interior (Train tech CL1 light strip in roof which really shows up the plain, emptyness of the model)
CHOCOLATE AND CREAM Bachmann collett coach (corridor version) with a lightish brown interior
CHOCOLATE AND CREAM Hornby 4 wheel coaches in with no internal seating so these will have to be scratch built but I am not sure of floor / seating colours etc.
I say chocolate and cream as some are BR rather than GWR.
stuartp wrote:4-wheelers - can you actually see through the windows ? Make it up, Hornby did !

:lol: :lol:
More than likely once lighting has been added.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:36 pm

The overhaul has been completed and can be seen here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48416&p=593885#p593883
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Re: Updating coach interiors? - Airfix Autocoach

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Does anyone know the Hornby metal replacement wheel sets for an Airfix Autocoach per chance?
I need metal ones so I can take power from the track to light the interior.

Also does anyone have any pictures of internal details like seat / floor colours on the prototype? Not the blue BR version.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Updating coach interiors? - Airfix Autocoach

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:47 pm

End2end wrote:Also does anyone have any pictures of internal details like seat / floor colours on the prototype? Not the blue BR version.

There's some useful internal photos of the one at Didcot here Which is more or less the type the Airfix model claims to represent.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

mossdp

Postby mossdp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Any 14mm metal disk coach wheel sets should be fine that have the same length axles as those you remove.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks members. :wink:
I do have a couple of Hornby R8218 14.1mm wheel sets (although I'd need 2 more). I'll give them a go to see if they fit.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Scenery”