New 1/32 Diorama but this time in slow motion

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Ex-Pat

Re: New 1/32 Diorama but this time in slow motion

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Daniel wrote:
Ex-Pat wrote:I would never have guessed those axle-boxes were made from wood - how long does each one take to make?

Is the "turntable" base across the wagon frames made from metal (7 individual pieces?) - or is it also wood?

:oops: ...Sorry Ex-Pat, this is a misunderstanding: the only wooden parts are the four pieces forming the main frame.
The rest (except the wheels, axles and a piece of brass rod for the axle of the brake wheel) is all 3D printed (Shapeways) from drawings I've made using Sketchup drawing program.
If I would be ever able to make from wood or even brass such a set of identical components I would be famous and probably not as poor as I am!

Daniel

No problem - I didn't really understand what the "disconnects" were and just assumed they were everything on the cutting mat in the photo.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Of course! :oops: Now I realise 'disconnects' is the American English term for ... 'log boguie'? :?

I assume 'idsconnects derives from the fact that they are used mostly in pairs not coupled to each other when loaded: the logs they carry keep them temporarily connected:

ImageIMG_0111 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The image above is a detail from a photo taken from a display at ABRESCHVILLER (France) by our fellow Jacky Molinaro:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138608932 ... 432975109/

Kadee has been prducing an excellent metal r.t.r. version of an American prototype since at least the 60's

https://www.hobbylinc.com/kadee-disconn ... ht-car-101

... but I model a French scene so...

Daniel

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Makes sense, although not a British thing (that I have ever come across).

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm

Wrightlines produced a range of 7mm scale narrow gauge kits for 16,5mm gauge which included a pair of such wagons and, because they were basically white metal, they had celestial running properties even through handmade 200mm radius points.
I am not sure but may be now being sold by KB... :roll:

HUDSON anbd FOWLER made several versions of log buguies.

Here another French variation:

ImageDSC03804 by d.caso, on Flickr

ImageDSC03805 by d.caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 pm

... and here the prototype of the ones I modeled:

ImageDSC06845-001 by d.caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Makes sense, although not a British thing (that I have ever come across).

They were used extensively on narrow gauge lines in the UK in their various forms. Many forestry commissions used to use narrow gauge lines and they would lay the track to where they needed as one would do if one had a sectional track trainset, and they used horse drawn power as they could negotiate steep 1 in 4 gradients as horses could get traction. They would use waggons as a pair like this to then take freshly cut trees down to the sawmills for further processing.
There was no specific railway in many cases as the track was layed down or taken up as it was needed though a few lines did have semi-permanent sections nearer to the sawmills and the rest of the line was moved in sections to the area it was needed.
They were only seen with locomotive power where the more permanent flatter areas where many pairs of waggons could be towed together. If a severe gradiented area was used on a regular bases, they would build a cable incline, but most of these forestry lines were by their nature temporary lines, so they would use horses for going up and ropes, pulleys and sprags etc for going down. (Whatever was the most suitable solution bearing in mind rhat the line was to be moved when the work had been done).
Some such lines would only been needed on the flatter gradients as horses could simply drag trees down to them for loading without the need for any mechanised means.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:56 am

Exactly. That's why they were called 'portable railways'.

Noiw back to the Nevada diorama intermezzo.

From the old drawer the smooth cut woodstrips enjoyed a serious texture weathering:

ImageIMG_0051 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

It is fantastic what sandpaper of three different grains can make from sooth strips (...and your fingers!!! :x )

ImageIMG_0054 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0052 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0055 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Yes, all of them both sides! :x :x :cry:

Prepared for one side paint...

ImageIMG_0059 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0060 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... then a light spray with water and fine and rough salt spread on. Then spraypainted and let it dry:

ImageIMG_0061 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0062 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0063 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0064 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Then a not too shor pause and once the paint was almost dry (yes, I know. I told my hands but they wouldn't listen and went on...)
Anyway it was great fun to lay the boards...

ImageIMG_0065 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0067 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0070 by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0075 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0076 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0077 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0078 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0079 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0081 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:12 am

Then (probably revenge for sanding the slats) I wanted to do something else and started the base for the diorama using a 50mm thick piece of expanded styrofoam, a layer of same material but 20mm thick and two rests of the first 50mm piece:

ImageIMG_0009 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0010 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0011 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0012 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Once the glue was dry all pins were removed and I used once more plaster bandage but this time adding a brownish acrylic to the water.
Sorry, I forgot to take photos at that stage because I suddenly felt the urge to give the whole a layter of diluted PVA glue and once done the urge to spread on the still wet glue sawdust for creating some texture...

ImageIMG_0013 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0014 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0015 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0016 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0017 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

and this will give an idea of what is it going to be:

ImageIMG_0019 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Return to “Scenery”