Papier Mache

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Mountain

Re: Papier Mache

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Through experience, it is not that easy to get paper maché to stick to expanding foam or polystyrene. On my previous layout I used nails to hold the newspaper (Not quite paper maché but along those lines) crust onto the expanded foam hill. Very few glues work. Most eat into the foam or polystyrere to cause a hollow over time if I recall correctly on my last layout). The expanding foam does give lovely contours though which make it an interesting material to use.

b308

Re: Papier Mache

Postby b308 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:31 am

I use cheap white (or flecked) polystyrene from the local DIY store, in the past I've used chicken wire, in neither case have I had to use wooden or cardboard formers. Another reason I use Modroc is that it attaches itself to both of them and is strong and solid. It also takes Pollyfilla if I need to shape anything and you can easily glue grassmats and static grass to it. Finally it takes water based paints well. If you want to use PM then by all means do but I do feel there are better scenic bases out there that are easier and more flexible.

Return to “Scenery”