Hornby Buffer Stops painting

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Dwarfboysim

Hornby Buffer Stops painting

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 am

Hi all,
I am in process of painting my Hornby buffet stops and a little confused which bits are steel and which are timber. Does anyone have and pictures or examples they could share?

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Re: Hornby Buffer Stops painting

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 am

9FFA48CA-A15F-4124-84FD-2C51B08CA477.jpeg
Bufferstop

Here is what I have so far
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am

I've done the same in the past. The buffer beam cross member and the two protruding buffer pieces are wood and the rest is metal. Though the moulds may be older then they used to be when I bought mine, if you examine closely on my old Hornby buffers (Bought in the 1980's to '90's), they have a visible wood grain pattern on the bufferbeam part of the buffer. I hope that helps. They are actually nice buffers as they are made to a good compromise between looking the part and durability with children in mind. Due to their durability to survive a hit from the occasionally misguided or out of control train, I decided that I would not buy the more accurate kit built buffers, and chose the Hornby ones instead. Fair play. They last a long time.
I once watched a kit built buffer collapse under a train and the train carried on ploughing its way through the scenery on a club layout.
If you have the occasional kiddie and you have a small city terminus station, Hornby's hydraulic buffer stop is brilliant. It is sprung loaded and will take a hit from a heavy train flat out.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:32 am

Hornby Buffers are not very prototypical, they have used the manufacturers license to make them more robust for kiddies
Take some pointers from here
The hornby cross beam has wood grain, but is hollow?
Normal construction is either a wooden cross beam or a metal one with a square block at either end.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:53 pm

None of the buffers had lights down my way except hydraulic ones in use in cities. Almost all the ones down here were entirely rail built and the double rail bufferbeams were not painted until the early '90's when they painted the bufferbeam part red. The rest was always a rust colour. Even on older photos they appeared the same.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “Scenery”