Wishy Washy.

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
b9y

Wishy Washy.

Postby b9y » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Hey guys. Ran in to an issue with washing rocks.

I was using a Citadel 'nuln oil' which was great, dried slightly lighter and gave me a wonderful grey colour.

But then I ran out, so I decided to use a black paint from 'Studio Acrylics', and to my horror it's dried dark grey and looks terrible! ....at least in my opinion because I'm a perfectionist. Not sure how to salvage it apart from a dry brush. Didn't need to dry brush the other rocks because of the effect of the Citadel stuff.

What confuses me is that the ratio was roughly the same, at least judging by how it looked when wet, ha.

What do people use for washes? Is there different types of acrylic to use and is there a fix for this do you think?

Nuln oil:

https://ibb.co/e03Fjn

Studio Acylics:

https://ibb.co/hc1qH7

Side note: I did the rocks today, and painted them about 4/5 hours later. But the plaster was solid. Where as with the previous wash with nuln oil, the plaster was left for a good 18 hours. Would this potentially be the culprit?

Thanks all!

Bufferstop

Re: Wishy Washy.

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:53 pm

In my experience acrylics, particularly the darker colours take a lot of lightening. Thinning it by dilution just doesn't work with them, you need to mix in white or pale grey in a mix that may well approach 1:1. If you want to avoid nasty surprises it pays to mix like with like, don't mix a colour from one company with a lighter one from another company, and start with a light colour adding in the darker one a little at a time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b9y

Postby b9y » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Sounds good. I'm surprised because I've seen loads of people talk about acrylics at something like a 30:1 mixture, but then mine is looking shite!

I'll try making a grey wash tomorrow and failing that, re-plaster and buy more Citadel for now! Do you think it's a different type perhaps? Been advised to try poster paint acrylic for some reason.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 am

Poster paint acrylics are water based so should dilute down, I don't know what the base is in artists acrylics but they work more like oil paints from tubes. Then there's solvent based acrylics as supplied to the motor industry, it's quite a wide area of knowledge, i'm sure the manufacturers base their formulations on what methods the intended customer uses.

b9y

Postby b9y » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Cheers. I've tried to go over with grey but alas, it's a lost cause. Ripped all the plaster off and started again. It's not a long job to do, just need to get more plaster and will start on it tomorrow. Poster paints it is.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 pm

I use acrylic poster paints for almost all of my scenic work, they are cheap, easy to mix and wash out of brushes, (clothes as well). Use the cheapest brushes you can find for scenery, the poster paints aren't fussy about them and on scenery you'll wreck them pretty quickly

b9y

Postby b9y » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:42 am

I did a search and they literally did not have black in Hobbycraft, decided to go to games workshop and get a Citadel wash becsuse they were on offer. Only needed a small bottle as it's a tiny layout. Planning a bigger one by the end of the year so I think I'll go for it then instead :)

b9y

Postby b9y » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:46 am

https://ibb.co/gWOhkS

Doesn't look too bad, corrected the colour to match as close to real life.

Return to “Scenery”