Back scenes

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Pompey1950

Back scenes

Postby Pompey1950 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I am about to start thinking about back scenes for my layout. I have the scenes already

Could anyone advise me what is the best board or wood to use to put the scenes on?

Also what is the best glue to use?

I will have 1 corner and I want to have a rounded effect rather than a right angle - has anyone got any tips on how to do this? - I thought of using kitchen roll insides, cut open - but this would still leave an edge

Many thanks

Paul

End2end

Re: Back scenes

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm

I once read somewhere about using polystrene coving with the edges trimmed off to use to affix the backscene on to go around a corner.
Haven't tried it myself but the idea stuck in my head.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

or a larger sheet of cardboard - this would let you have some control over the sharpness of the bend & let it seamlessly merge into the rest of it - it depends i guess on your layout and how much room you have on the corner, the less room the sharper the bend needs to be.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Most thin boards (hardboard, mdf, etc) will flop/twist/warp, so thin ply would be best or some type of plastic (which may end up more expensive). For a corner, you could use a 4" drain pipe sliced in quarters lengthwise. Or get some of this https://www.ukcontractflooring.co.uk/cf ... ormer.html
Like all "Wallpaper", best practice will give the best results, I have seen many sad stories of the application ending with wrinkles. So apply a backing paper first to wood or plastic, then use normal wallpaper paste to stick the backscene on, giving time to adjust and move for good fit.
What are the scenes you have? Bought in or printed yourself? Recently found a website that that sells software that enables you to create a model of a personal bespoke background in high detail 3D then print it out, at £2,000 it's a snip! :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 pm

I've used thick (3mm) card for the curves, remember to put a champher (sp!) on the edges.

Re the glue, I dn't find the wallpaper glue works very well, there is a special glue for backscenes called "View Glue" and it does work very well, no wrinkles.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=backs ... e&ie=UTF-8

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I used hardboard for the backscenes and the initial application of the printed paper sheet directly to the wood using PVA was not successful, despite taking great care the paper still wrinkled and bubbled. I then tried gluing the printed paper backscene to good quality cartridge paper using a glue stick, then sticking the cartridge paper to the wood using the PVA, this was much better. No bubbles or wrinkles.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

As my last layout were mostly mounted onto the bedrooms wallboards I used selotape looped in on itself and this worked fine. However it did leave marks on the wallboards which is what I was trying to avoid. Only really found this out several years later when removing the back scenes as my layout plans had changed.

Return to “Scenery”