USB Airush + First Time Airbrushing

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

USB Airush + First Time Airbrushing

Post by Richard08 »

Finally the paint, cleaner and air brush itself all convened in a single location, so here's to jumping in at the deep end.

I once tried airbrushing a signal, and fought a losing battle with getting the airbrush to do anything much except dribble - it was new but... ah well. After that I got by using Halfords Universal Primer and aerosol Railmatch paints. Spray cans are all well and good, but I had to go outside because inside use gassed the house out. Obviously Plan B, getting the airbrush thing going. In one of those quirks of the web I was looking to see what colour the station signs and posts should be when I stumbled over a review of a USB airbrush. The guy is a wizzo fantastic airbrush user, but he reviewed it because, well, gotta check stuff out. The upshot was that, though it wasn't going to do very thin lines or anything trick, it was excellent at, well just painting things, weathering etc. And £34 delivered on eBay. Well, why not.
DSC01212.resized.JPG
Next; What primer to use. I googled it - and disappeared right down the rabbit hole. The upshot is that I concluded that I was looking for a primer, etch or not, that the manufacturer claims will do plastic, brass, white metal and resin and set forth into oblivion. What with one thing and another I ended up with this, which is apparently Badger in some way. The main thing is : it does the required surfaces (so they say), it's acrylic (no stink), it doesn't need thinning (but can still be brushed) and the thinners (which does stink) isn't likely to cause a chemical emergency.
DSC01215.resized.JPG
I have 6 wagons awaiting the application of primer, and picked the 'simplest' to experiment on - a white metal ABS something plank SR wagon. Being used to blasting the thing with an aerosol I possibly over-masked the blackened wheels and couplings.
DSC01211.resized.JPG
So let's go spraying. As I said, my one attempt at using an air brush didn't go well, so I was expecting something of a trial. All charged up, tip in some primer, switch on, press trigger and.... it just worked, the right amount of paint (for me anyway) and I could get quite close thus avoiding over-spray. A couple of tries on the cardboard and off we go. The gun did the whole wagon, the battery only going off halfway through cleaning. Just for a laugh I plugged the charger back in, and off it went again (a PC is providing the USB, this may not work on something like a phone charger) which is useful info. So here it is, 1 of 6 - and Guard Klewless who comes with the kit.
DSC01213.resized.JPG
I'm now much happier about primers, air brushes and not painting the atmosphere in the loft light grey.