MMP Kit And Roller Bearings

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

MMP Kit And Roller Bearings

Postby Richard08 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:59 pm

After a complete faff (putting the solebars on the wrong sides) progress of the MMP 16T mineral progresses. Having got to the wheel bearing stage it was time see if roller bearings (with Peartree wheels) was actually viable (the kits talks about Slaters wheels). It appears so. A quick test on the track suggests that the 'loose shunting' effect I'm after may work out, it slows down nicely as it comes to rest gently. Time will tell on the final outcome... Now on to making the working leaf springs. Wait, what?
Attachments
DSC01110.resized.JPG

Richard08

Re: MMP Kit And Roller Bearings

Postby Richard08 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am

I was pretty sure that I'd just end up soldering the springs together, because that's what usually happens. However, somewhat to my surprise, the things do actually work. It took all day to figure out a way to assemble the springs (there's a pin, or bit of rod really, that goes vertically through the leaves between axle box and the 'strap' that holds the spring assembly in place), but having removed the bump stops there was just enough room to get the pin (cut to length) in between sole bar and spring and then push it 'up' as each leaf was added. The pin pretty much holds itself in place, but a touch of superglue on the top when all is done will make sure. What fun! The 1st and 2nd leaves haven't been bent round the dumb iron 'bolts' yet as there is always a possibility of having to take it all apart to set the 'ride height' (buffer height), it's right at the moment but with three corners to go... I set the height by fitting the two top leaves and then gently (with bump stops removed) with a needle file, between sole bar and spring, applying pressure to bend the leaves to set the height. This gave a much more even 'bend' than trying to do it by hand (and a lot less assembly/re-assembly). It's a good way of checking the dumb irons are fixed properly too! I'm finding this kit very challenging, but also skill gaining, so (so far anyway) it's been a (often frustrating) blast.
Attachments
DSC01117.resized.JPG

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:47 pm

Making brake shoes.... Still really enjoying making this kit, but if you're wanting a wagon for a quick addition to the fleet this probs isn't the way to go ;-) And the springs do work, I haven't managed to screw it up yet. Changed the buffers to RCH/Early BR standard types as that's what is fitted in all the photos I can find - though I guess I probably should have used the plastic Parkside ones you always end with left over in their kits for the door end, as they have the flats on top, but glue so I didn't.
Attachments
DSC01118.resized.JPG

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:23 pm

A challenge... yep, but still fun (with occasional not so fun bits). The drawings are 'on it's wheels' but you build it on it's back and I confess to getting the transformation between the two wrong more than once. At least it's not the solder covered monstrosity I kind of expected. So far.
Attachments
DSC01124.resized.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:16 pm

Glad you're still enjoying by far the most intricate kit I have seen here, and I look forward to seeing it finished. How long then till the next one?!

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:08 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Glad you're still enjoying by far the most intricate kit I have seen here, and I look forward to seeing it finished. How long then till the next one?!

It certainly delivers excellent value for money in terms of hours occupied! I have an unfitted 16T mineral and a Catfish also from MMP in the seemingly ever-growing kit queue, which I expect will be a bit quicker now I've got the gist of the MMP 'way'! But then again the Queen Mary brake van beckons now I've got the rivet embossing tool...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:01 am

Really impressed by this.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:08 pm

Finally - it's done. Just needs some instanter couplings (to go with the buffers, I've made it to look like the other type of MCV, different brake gear or something). I confess some of the really tiny bits (cotter pins, I kid you not!) got omitted, mostly because they just deformed when I tried to get them out of the etch. So it's far from perfect, and needs a good clean, but in terms of bang-for-your-buck this is easily the best kit I've made. A real challenge too, which is kind of fun, and lessons learned (RTFM properly for a start). Ooops, forgot the chains on the brake lever brackets... (the pictures a bit fish-eye, I need to RTFM for the camera too).
Attachments
DSC01136.resized.JPG

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:47 pm

An impressive build there Richard08,
Would I want to follow ? probably not. I find the Parkside plastic kit fills my need.
I wonder if those working springs do improve the ride ? Probably needs a heavy coal load
to test that out out.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:46 am

Dad-1 wrote:An impressive build there Richard08,
Would I want to follow ? probably not. I find the Parkside plastic kit fills my need.
I wonder if those working springs do improve the ride ? Probably needs a heavy coal load
to test that out out.

Geoff T.

I think, to be honest, the working springs is a bit of an indulgence, but were great fun to make so worth it. There's a link in the instructions to some bod who's something of an expert on the subject of weight, but, bearing in mind this wagon very heavy, it looks to me shoving the thing round the layout that the springs 'take the edge off' joints etc, but to actually 'work' it would take something like a half kilo load.

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm

As a comparison, the MSO (next to the 08) is a JPL Models kit from the 1980s or so. The body corner cappings were missing, as were the handbrake levers (I have spares), even with swapping the buffers, sorting out the 'W' irons out (the original method of securing them, see pic,was a bit weird - and didn't work well) and fitting roller bearings only took about three hours, compared to a month! Looks alright though. Just need to get some priming done and build one of the brake vans and I'll have an actual train! Choo! Choo!
Attachments
DSC01140.resized.JPG
DSC01137.resized.JPG

Return to “The Workbench”