I needed a longer headshunt

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

I needed a longer headshunt

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm

I promised Geoff (Dad-1) I'd put this where he could see it, so why not here?
I needed a longer headshunt if I was going to put four or five coaches behind a Hall, but beyond the bufferstop and under the bridge lead to a four foot drop and the way through to a spare bedroom, so it had to be a fold up or fold down design. I opted for fold down as its own weight would keep it hanging there, no hooks to forget, so this is what I came up with.
Stowed away
stowed(2).jpg

Ready for a train
ready2.jpg

Now how I did it-
The trackbed is made from cardboard L shaped beams. They've been in the loft ever since we moved back into the house, We had some flat pack tall bookshelves delivered and the edges of the uprights were protected by these L shaped cardboard "things". they were 4 or 5mm thick card covered in heavy brown paper, very strong and light, I put them in the loft and apart from a couple I cut up to make dividers in a draw there they have stayed for over a decade. Laid flat I glued a 4mm track bed into them. The hazard tape covering came from a roll that I blagged from my sons fireworks business and the plywood used for the support arm came from the back of an old wardrobe we threw out.
I cut up an old piano hinge two bits for the folding arm and one for the deck. The one for the deck is long enough to stickout either side, with the excess chopped away either side of the deck. The holes in the bits that stick out are oversized so that there's some vertical and lateral adjustment possible and the screws that hold the deck are fixed with Loctite. They protrude through slots alongside the track which is clamped down by nuts with washers, so that the deck can be moved forward and locked with the rails touching. The track on the baseboard is 30mm in from the edge, and the top surface of the deck overshoots the hinge far enough to meet up. When the deck is stowed the overshoot sticks up and forms a positive stop for any stock that might roll off the end of the track. The supporting arm folds and stows beneath the deck so the hinge is mounted on a block thick enough to span two thicknesses of the arm plus a bit for the hinge. A button magnet next to the centre hinge holds it against the baseboard side.
If you read all that you can watch it in action here
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Re: I needed a longer headshunt

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Why did you make it short ?
I would have thought you could get another 100 mm before it fouls your
display shelves. Perhaps even hooking onto the shelf edge for stability ?
That would be enough space for 'Katie'.

Trouble stirrer !!
Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:09 pm

I have a bridge rather than headshunt, lift out rather than folding:

4DF2E336-F828-4267-A486-C8BAC160B6D9.jpeg

Raboliot

Postby Raboliot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Well done ! Is there some kind of signal behind the door ? It's very risky to open the door without any warning. :mrgreen:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:36 pm

Dave, there's one overriding problem with lift out bits, you have to have somewhere to put them down. I get into enough problems with the rotating wheel around fiddle yard, it's currently inside the room behind that door, Trapped by a pile of floor tiles which don't allow enough room for its five castor (ex swivel chair) base to get through.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “The Workbench”