THE UNIVERSAL WORKBENCH

What are you up to on your workbench
Daniel

Re: THE UNIVERSAL WORKBENCH

Postby Daniel » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:13 pm

I forgot to mention something very important to those who never made this kind of work:

The long handle is important because taking it from it's free end the movement of the hand is much longer and easier to control during operation.

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Well, first stage successfully completed and I have more than enough for a second Rowan railcar and another batch ready to get the same first milling.
Tomorrow I will try to make a similar device but for milling the upper arch. Then it will remain only cuting the corners at both ends so all brackets fit perfectly in the body...

ImageIMG_0031 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Lady Impatience was all the time arround so for the first batch I improvised a wooden piece to hold down the basswood during milling...

ImageIMG_0032 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0033 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0034 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

More tomorrow.

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:58 am

It looks the second stage of the making of the roof brackets way get comple today.
The components of the jig for milling theouter arch of the roof brackets have been glued and as soon as the glue is dry enough I will go for the first try.
Meanwhile here some shots of the building:

ImageIMG_0035 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0036 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0037 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0038 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0039 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0040 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

This handle combines the control on the fastening of the piece to be milled and de rotating of the jig so I still keep my right hand free...

ImageIMG_0041 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0042 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0044 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

More later.

Happy Magoo

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Well, the first try was a fiasco:

ImageIMG_0051 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

and the second more or less the same.

The third one was also wrong:

ImageIMG_0050 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

but all others went really good and are more than enough for a whole Rowan:

ImageIMG_0046 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Now I must go for the final stage which is cutting the right angles at both ends but am already very happy with what I get. :)

Daniel

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 pm

They look excellent!

It has taken a lot of thought to make such a guide so you can make those parts.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Thank you, Mountain.

Yes, it works pretty good and I have learnt a lot making it.
But this was my second experience at making roof brackets this way.

The first time provided also good results but the device was conceived in a different way and I threw it away because wanting something better. And now I've got it.
If I get the chance I will try to build another one but able to mill booth sides (not at once, of course) and also a range of radius not only one. But, knowing myself a bit, that will happen when I face the need for making different sizes for a project. Meanwhile I will carry on making whatever I need to build the next couple of Rowan railcars and probably some Decauville coaches.
But I don't like to make plans so I let it to the flow to decide and we'll see.

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:53 am

Now the second batch is done.

I supposed ther would be problems at reseting both devices.
Such builds are (at least in my case) no result of much thinking but of much attention so, as easy as it is to solve without plan the issues that every step presents, it is later difficult to repeat exactly the same setting... But I must have done something acceptably right because that went with both devices very well. Nevertheless, I have learnt that for such things it is better to make simple but effective installation arrangements so now on my jigs will be a bit more accurately made with an inbuilt 'door to nex time'.

I should now sand all the pieces and proceed to do the agle cuts but I have made a huge mistake and that means both jigs must go and all pieces re-made.

Here the roof brackets:

ImageIMG_0079 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Even not sanded yet, they look o.k.. And they are all o.k.... and useless.

Why:

Well, the total length should be 52mm and Dombo here made them 62mm long. :shock: :o :oops: :cry: :roll:

But, to be honest, I don't mind.
It has been a couple of fantastic joyous days; I have learnt a lot from doing the work and understanding how everything works so doing it right may also be enjoyable hours...

Or should I understand thet it wasn't an 'error' but an unconscious claim to move to a bigger scale?

...Who knows?

Then I will see if I manage to rework the pieces or must make new jigs for the needed 52mm long roof braces or give 32mm track a 1/24 scale or 1/22 scale a chance and Magoo a new horizon?

(Hmm...)

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Found a way out but can show only the preparations now and tomorrow, once the two new jigs that have been just glued are dry I will show the rest.

ImageIMG_0006 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0007 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0008 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0009 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0004 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0005 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The rest in the morning.

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 pm

... and I forgot to mention, yesterday the two little girls arrived:

ImageIMG_0080 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am

MEGA TUTORIAL

It is German spoken and I don't understand a word but find delightful to see this open minded fellow at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcKT1aSzc_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxDT_Lw2y0

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUfUb3XlOk

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Cu0y51zx4

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fstx-YXjuK8

There is also a serie of films by him on weathering in Youtube.

Daniel

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Too big is less of an issue then too small is.
When I make rolling stock and I am working in wood I do make some parts a little too big so when I assemble them and glue them together, I can then sand them down to make them a perfect straight edge. If anything, each item of rolling stock will be slghtly different sizes, but it works.
I think the difference being in that you are making models of a prototype, and I am making my own designs so that my models only need to capture the look rather then be accurate scale models.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Me making models of prototypes... ???

You must be jocking!
What I do is 1% prototypical, 29% a potpourri of stolen ideas and 20% simple lies fooling the eyes and making things seem prototypical and 40% good luck. Yes, there is another 10% but that is only one or the other type of glue to get all the above together.

My thing is nothing else than playing as much as I can with every materials and tools that catches my interest.

The big difference between your and my work is that you are a lot more free than I am but I am learnning from you that too. :)

Daniel

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm

has been silent here for a while.

As you may have seen before, for building the slades for the circle saws I used MakerBeam aluminium profiles.
They are really great and super strong but a bit too thick for my purposes : 10mm X 10mm.

ImageIMG_0084 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Now I've found a much better and simple way for using them for half cost.

I didn't wanted to spoil a full length so made a try to learn using small rests from previous work...

ImageIMG_0150 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0155 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0151 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0153 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... and using a rest of 6mm MDF ...

ImageIMG_0154 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0155 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

It can be done very easily so next step will be to find where I left an old self-healing mat that is still in good condition.

There are a couple of things that must be done differently.

One is to ensure bith rails remain protruding at least 2mm (instead of flush as in the photo) above the cutting surface so they can be used for ensuring perfect square cuttings.

The size must be bigger. At least 20cm+ X 40cm to ensure a full 1/32 scale boguie coach side (I don't thing I am going to build anythinmg longer than that) can be worked on comfortably.

I must make a small ranges of clamps to fit for holding the material in place for cutting; for cutting perfect square angles, for cutting every other wanted angle; etc.

But first is finding the mat.

Daniel

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Some of you who want to work with tinplate may want to take a look at this:-

https://youtu.be/4SSGohkErZc

I will also post it on my 7mm narrow gauge thread as it is inline with some of the things that I am doing.

Also while I am here, I want to share a method that my Dad taught me as a child when he repaired some of my toys, that I have just had need to make a minor repair today. The rubbery flexible type of plastic which one can't find glue which works with it. I was trying different glues without success. I even tried the type suitable for plastic kits. Nothing really worked that well which I had available, so following thoughts back to my childhood and my Dads homemade repairs, I plugged in my soldering iron and I waited for it to heat up.
Then I dabbed it on the area that needed to be joined so the area heated up, and it worked. I thought I would share this. Do not apply heat for too long as the plastic will quickly dissapear!

Return to “The Workbench”