Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
CandO

Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

Post by CandO »

One of the areas of my layout is a raised scenic 'corner unit' which is to be located behind the goods/fiddle yard area and under which the main running loop will go. I have decided to put the church (Metcalfe) in the corner with a main road running through and a couple of cobbled side streets (one of which leads down a ramp to the goods/fiddle yard entrance). There are also some low-relief terrace houses to the right (kit bashed Metcalfe) and a pub (Metcalfe).
The tunnel portals are kit-bashed from a Metcalfe bridge kit and the main wall is obviously scratchbuilt from card and Metcalfe papers. I have scratch-built two banks of lock-up garages for a part of the front area and am also putting in a war memorial. The pictures you see below are still in need of small details like the capping stones and, as yet, I'm still unsure as to whether I keep the lychgate in front of the church or get rid....I quite like the idea of some benches either side of the entrance.
Can anyone guess how I made the drainpipes?? There's a closer shot in the next post :D
corner1.jpg
view2.jpg
view1.jpg
garage5.jpg
garage3.jpg
Last edited by CandO on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CandO

Re: Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

Post by CandO »

drainpipes.jpg
Finally, has anybody got any ideas as to what I can put in this space between the garages and the war memorial area? I've had a few thoughts - a play park, flower beds with a walkway, a coal merchants, allotment - but I can't quite pinpoint the best use. All suggestions will be gratefully received!! :D
question.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Wow very impressive CandO! :D
How about a fountain for the area? Perhaps with a couple of seats and a flower bed. I see many such memorial / fountain arrangements in my travels.
Here's the fountain at St. Blazey I took a couple of weeks ago.
St Blazey Fountain.JPG
Even had some goldfish in it if you look closely. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
CandO

Post by CandO »

Another couple of small projects undertaken over the past week.

First up is a small kit bashed Metcalfe low relief terrace in order to fill a gap next to the pub. If you recall the low relief terrace in the main view comprises of six fronts so the two left over were used to create the triangular building needed. I had to add the back half of the side to create a full roof gable end. I thought the roof may be tricky but it was actually quite straightforward.
smallhouse1.jpg
smallhouse2.jpg
smallhouse3.jpg

Secondly is just a small embellishment to the church entrance. I'm unsure about the lychgate now so have decided to just put some stone balls on the wall corners, I'll be adding a couple of benches against the side walls too. Any thoughts ??
churchballs.jpg
CandO

Post by CandO »

Just an update on what I've been up to with my 'corner' :D

Finally got round to doing the grass in the churchyard only for the handheld vac I'd bought specifically for the job of clearing up to have a fault and die after ten seconds!! Despite numerous attempts to recharge it wasn't going to work....no wonder it was on offer :lol:
Anyways managed to get another one last week and so I've been able to finish off, so now its all grassed and also populated with gravestones. I've even got a gravedigger in :D
grass1.jpg
grass2.jpg
gravedigger.jpg
As you will see there are some pieces of street furniture in place, I'm still trying to make my mind re putting in working streetlights or not. I'm not thinking of lighting any buildings in future so can't decide if it will be of any benefit :? Any thoughts guys??

Lastly on this update I'm still at a loss for the space between the War Memorial and the garages. Thanks End2End for the fountain suggestion but I'm not sure it would suit the location. I've put a fence up around the area and am leaning to an enclosed area of overgrown spare ground with a broken / collapsed shed or building on it - maybe something earmarked for demolition....but I am still open-minded if anyone comes up with a great idea for the space :D
view3.jpg
view4.jpg
As always any other suggestions re additions or anything I've missed will be greatly welcome....Cheers!
Mannick

Post by Mannick »

CandO

Post by CandO »

Hi all , hope everyone had a great festive period and new year :D

I spent the holiday period out of the attic and away from modelling as I was getting a little cba with it but since going back to work I've been quite busy.
First up I attempted a scratchbuilt viaduct although after finishing one elevation I ended up running out of brick paper (I did think I had another pack but I obviously didn't!) so I'll post photo's of the build when I've finished it.
The main thing I've been up to over the past week is electrics and I must say WOW!!! :shock: It is a very steady progress although in some ways its been very therapeutic too! I had it all to do really - bus wires, droppers, points and whilst trying to sort it out ended up slightly altering the trackwork too! :lol: Anyway, the upshot is that the main fiddle yard area has been wired up fully with points installed - all that is left to do is wiring the switches to the points and connecting them to the power via the CDU. I'm using Seep PM1 points and I have actually wired them up fully ( A C D E F B ) and put the wires into chock blocks so if I change the points to run on DCC in the future its easier to connect up without having to either remove the points or solder wire under the baseboards. Considering I've never done anything like this before I'm quite happy with how I'm progressing.

Anyways, I'll leave you with a screenshot of what will be my control board for the fiddleyard point switches.
Control Board
Control Board
Happy modelling All!! :D
CandO

Post by CandO »

So as I was waiting for more supplies for the control panel I began construction on another part of the layout. This involves one of the platforms in the main station complex and the attached goods shed and warehouse. I began with the platform and just used a Metcalfe platform kit (first time using one!) but substituted the tarmac top for Metcalfe flagstone. I got so engrossed with the build I forgot to take any 'during construction' pics :D So here's a pic of the finished Platform....
Platform
Platform
The two narrower parts to the left accommodate parts of the attached goods shed / warehouse and I have tentatively decided, as a track runs through the aforementioned buildings, to join the buildings to the platform so everything could be aligned to the track in one go. (If peeps think it's better to keep everything separate please do say so! :wink: )
Anyway, I have begun this ominous scratchbuild with the goods shed part and I am working off a plan view and a couple of photographs as the buildings are long gone. The pic below is of some of the components I've cut and painted so far. The build will be a combination of card and plastic in order to achieve the desired effect and so far I'm quite enjoying the process :D
Goods Shed 1
Goods Shed 1
I'll try to remember to take more pictures as I progress but as you all know one can get engrossed in the process! I'll also put up the original pics with the finished build for comparison.

Phil
CandO

Post by CandO »

Hello everybody, I'm back after a torrid 2022 so hoping 2023 is the year I can finally crack on with the layout and the subsequent scenery and scratch building :D
I've got a few pics continuing from the last one above to show (just downloading from old phone as I type but taking forever!) and there's also a new build I'm hoping to crack on with this month to mention too.
Look forward to interacting with you all again :D