Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
CandO

Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

Postby CandO » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:45 pm

One of the areas of my layout is a raised scenic 'corner unit' which is to be located behind the goods/fiddle yard area and under which the main running loop will go. I have decided to put the church (Metcalfe) in the corner with a main road running through and a couple of cobbled side streets (one of which leads down a ramp to the goods/fiddle yard entrance). There are also some low-relief terrace houses to the right (kit bashed Metcalfe) and a pub (Metcalfe).
The tunnel portals are kit-bashed from a Metcalfe bridge kit and the main wall is obviously scratchbuilt from card and Metcalfe papers. I have scratch-built two banks of lock-up garages for a part of the front area and am also putting in a war memorial. The pictures you see below are still in need of small details like the capping stones and, as yet, I'm still unsure as to whether I keep the lychgate in front of the church or get rid....I quite like the idea of some benches either side of the entrance.
Can anyone guess how I made the drainpipes?? There's a closer shot in the next post :D

corner1.jpg

view2.jpg

view1.jpg

garage5.jpg

garage3.jpg
Last edited by CandO on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CandO

Re: Market Street (formerly CandO) Workbench

Postby CandO » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:51 pm

drainpipes.jpg

Finally, has anybody got any ideas as to what I can put in this space between the garages and the war memorial area? I've had a few thoughts - a play park, flower beds with a walkway, a coal merchants, allotment - but I can't quite pinpoint the best use. All suggestions will be gratefully received!! :D

question.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Wow very impressive CandO! :D
How about a fountain for the area? Perhaps with a couple of seats and a flower bed. I see many such memorial / fountain arrangements in my travels.
Here's the fountain at St. Blazey I took a couple of weeks ago.
St Blazey Fountain.JPG

Even had some goldfish in it if you look closely. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

CandO

Postby CandO » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Another couple of small projects undertaken over the past week.

First up is a small kit bashed Metcalfe low relief terrace in order to fill a gap next to the pub. If you recall the low relief terrace in the main view comprises of six fronts so the two left over were used to create the triangular building needed. I had to add the back half of the side to create a full roof gable end. I thought the roof may be tricky but it was actually quite straightforward.

smallhouse1.jpg

smallhouse2.jpg

smallhouse3.jpg

Secondly is just a small embellishment to the church entrance. I'm unsure about the lychgate now so have decided to just put some stone balls on the wall corners, I'll be adding a couple of benches against the side walls too. Any thoughts ??

churchballs.jpg

CandO

Postby CandO » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:47 pm

Just an update on what I've been up to with my 'corner' :D

Finally got round to doing the grass in the churchyard only for the handheld vac I'd bought specifically for the job of clearing up to have a fault and die after ten seconds!! Despite numerous attempts to recharge it wasn't going to work....no wonder it was on offer :lol:
Anyways managed to get another one last week and so I've been able to finish off, so now its all grassed and also populated with gravestones. I've even got a gravedigger in :D

grass1.jpg

grass2.jpg

gravedigger.jpg

As you will see there are some pieces of street furniture in place, I'm still trying to make my mind re putting in working streetlights or not. I'm not thinking of lighting any buildings in future so can't decide if it will be of any benefit :? Any thoughts guys??

Lastly on this update I'm still at a loss for the space between the War Memorial and the garages. Thanks End2End for the fountain suggestion but I'm not sure it would suit the location. I've put a fence up around the area and am leaning to an enclosed area of overgrown spare ground with a broken / collapsed shed or building on it - maybe something earmarked for demolition....but I am still open-minded if anyone comes up with a great idea for the space :D

view3.jpg

view4.jpg

As always any other suggestions re additions or anything I've missed will be greatly welcome....Cheers!

Mannick

Postby Mannick » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Return to “The Workbench”