Parkside shock-absorbing open wagon kit.

What are you up to on your workbench
robb1

Parkside shock-absorbing open wagon kit.

Postby robb1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 am

I picked up an old, secondhand Parkside shock-absorbing open wagon kit at an exhibition and could do with some assembly advice. It is complete except for the plastic rod for the tarpaulin bar, which is missing. I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner of the kit broke this plastic rod while trying to bend it, and discarded the kit in frustration. Should I use brass rod to replace this tarpaulin bar? What diameter should I use and how should I paint it?
Is a set of transfers available from somewhere?
Any other general tips or a photo of the real thing would be appreciated.
N.b. I'm not a complete novice at plastic wagon kits but have never made a Parkside kit before.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Rob

luckymucklebackit

Re: Parkside shock-absorbing open wagon kit.

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am

For all things wagons, Paul Bartlett's site is normally the place to go, but have just checked his site and every wagon pictured has a tarpaulin in place so you cant see the bar.
Here is a photo of a completed kit though, hope it helps.

3009973.png
3009973.png (419.94 KiB) Viewed 340 times

From memory wagons of this type rarely had a nice straight bar, most were bent and distorted through years of misuse

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:40 pm

I would use 'handrail wire' roughly half millimetre diameter, and finish in rusty grime.

I echo the recommendation for Paul Bartlett's site, and a very useful supplement is a book I chanced on s/h, Robert Hendry's 'British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' (Midland Publishing). There's a really good pic of just this type of wagon in it, which would enable a portrait of (one side and end) of SHOC-BAR B721765 as running in 1971! The most useful pictures are the trains, which should cure anyone of the need to have BR's goods wagons in anything like matching livery wagon to wagon...

robb1

Postby robb1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks one and all for your helpful tips.
Rob

Return to “The Workbench”