"Worst I've Ever Seen..."

What are you up to on your workbench
Chops

"Worst I've Ever Seen..."

Postby Chops » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 pm

remarked my British Pen Pal, regarding a twin pair or ratted out Playcraft 6100 vintage 1970's. Well for a train loving kid of that era, they were
gold for me. The initial versions came with a rather plain jane set of scarcely decorated mineral wagon and a van and guards van. It invited the young owner to supply a great deal of imagination and doggedness; all part of the fun. Both motors were used up and James popped out and said, "there's tons of Playcraft parts and we can probably get them going. I took him on the generous offer, but though if he could get just
one
going that would be a happy day indeed. Instead he sent them both back, running as near as new could be. Addittionally James updated the transmission with a pair of lonigtudinal gears to the empty drive shaft, doubling the horsepower outfit and speed control by sleight of hand.

It is a fine, fine day when some old, forgotten piece, can be placed on full line service. My gratitude is immeasurable.
Goods Way 005.jpg

Goods Way 003.jpg

Should one care to see how they work, these veterans are posted under "Goods Day" under "Personal Layouts"
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

heda

Re: "Worst I've Ever Seen..."

Postby heda » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:49 pm

It's great to see what is destined for the dustbin given a new lease of life.
For a few years I enjoyed buying up scrap Scalextric cars, rebuilding and repainting but one of my race buddies passed away last year and the rest of us are getting older so we decided to end our race meetings.
As my train layout was N gauge it was to fiddly for me to rebuild worn out trains. Earlier this year I switched to OO, bought a few job lots of scrap wagons and have enjoyed renovating them. Now I'm browsing ebay and the car boot for old loco's to rebuild.
I wonder though how many cars / trains etc have just been thrown away because they don't work properly any more.
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 pm

I've just taken a look at them racing around on "Goods Day". I said on another thread that practical experience often reverses the most carefully work out theoretical results. Those two do. By all theories taking the drive down through the centre of the bogie pivots should produce a turning force on the bogies, likely to lead to them jumping the rails. So much for theories. I dare say if you built the same design using high quality components, the theory might hold good and they would keep derailing. Put it together from the crudest parts and user a massive motor to drive it the theory doesn't stand a chance!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:59 am

Bufferstop wrote:I've just taken a look at them racing around on "Goods Day". I said on another thread that practical experience often reverses the most carefully work out theoretical results. Those two do. By all theories taking the drive down through the centre of the bogie pivots should produce a turning force on the bogies, likely to lead to them jumping the rails. So much for theories. I dare say if you built the same design using high quality components, the theory might hold good and they would keep derailing. Put it together from the crudest parts and user a massive motor to drive it the theory doesn't stand a chance!

Yes, but in theory, Bumblebees should not be able to fly!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 am

SRman wrote:
Yes, but in theory, Bumblebees should not be able to fly!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The theory is (and always has been) that bumblebees can't glide. Which is actually true

Jim

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:06 am

Quote: "From these images the team were able to visualise the airflow over flapping bumblebee wings. The old myth that "bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly" was based on calculations using the aerodynamic theory of 1918-19, just 15 years after the Wright brothers made the first powered flight."

(https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090507194511.htm)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Joueff did make a few of them with double wnd drive. I had one myself... A single end drive like you have but in B.B. blue, and a double end drive SNCF loco which used the same chassis but was actually quite a nice looking model.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 am

Most interesting observations, thank you for that. I stumbled upon the original Playcraft, Joeuf, and I traded up for it on an American Forum. It was in pretty ragged shape, lots of loose mechanical bits and a bit of body damage, but I was most pleased to have it as it brought back many happy memories of a childhood lived in the UK. Then little by little it began to fail, and so when another came up listed as NOS, I jumped at it, thinking I could simply swap out the shells, as the tiny bolts and spring loaded electrical pick ups seemed well nigh impossible to reach. The NOS unit was dead as a wedge, and so now I was stuck with two defunct pieces, until a British modeller took note of my plight and graciously had them running in no time.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “The Workbench”