Michaela’s workbench, building buildings

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Michaela’s workbench, loco weathering

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:17 am

Hi Michaela,

Nice and subtle, well done for finding the courage to work on your locos.
Just call me "Chicken" ........

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am

Hello,
Looks good to me
Regards
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Lovely job - what colours did you use, and what were the various stages?

Presumably the base colour of the loco all over prior to working on it was the "clean" black behind the numbers?

thank you, I used colours from the Vallejo air rust set, mainly the oxide and light rust colours, light grey and black

the original colour was that sorta satin black finish, and I began by spraying the darker oxide rust in areas that always seem to be rusty when looking at old photos of steam locos, then I spray the more orangey coloured light rust over the top to add variation to the colour, next I wanted to give the paint a kinda "faded" colour, so I gave the whole model a light coat of the grey, not sure how effective this stage was, then to tone it all down and tie everything together I sprayed a light coating of the black, and then sealed with humbrol matt enamel varnish, to get the "cleaned" numbers I just used a cotton bud dipped in thinners and gently cleaned the paint away

I plan to repeat the process on my bachmann 3F, so I think I'll try to film that so I can actually post things on my youtube channel

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Michaela,

Nice and subtle, well done for finding the courage to work on your locos.
Just call me "Chicken" ........

Geoff T.

I hope it's not misplaced courage, the J11 is/was one of my best runners, I've still got to check it'll still run

GreenBR wrote:Hello,
Looks good to me
Regards

thank you

Next loco up is my factory weathered Hornby black 5, got this off ebay for £60 a few years ago so I felt okay with taking the risk on this one, I've always found hornby's factory weathering a bit bizarre, seems to be just a light spraying of an odd beige colour and then given a satin finish, anyway always felt it just didn't look right

here's how the loco looked before I got to work

and here it is now

in harsh light the rust colours were standing out a bit more than I'd like

so I dry brushed on some black using only downward strokes and I think I've got it

not sure if I went a little too heavy on this one, was using pictures of black fives at Manchester Victoria for inspiration and almost all of them seem to be filthy

ImageHi-Res R1039 by Bill Wright, on Flickr

Image055 44809-45411 Manchester Victoria Stn. 28.4.68 by George Woods, on Flickr

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks Michaela – looking forward to any video.

Nice job on 44672 as well - I’d say that, in particular, you’ve captured the rusty cylinder end covers perfectly – interesting how relatively clean are the smokeboxes on the photos of 44809 & 45255.

I was hoping that you might have said that you used acrylic paint, and it has prompted me to start a thread in General Model Raimway Discussion. (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54050#p665708 )

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Thanks Michaela – looking forward to any video.
interesting how relatively clean are the smokeboxes on the photos of 44809 & 45255.

I've noticed that too, and on a lot of old photos, steam locos seem to have clean smokeboxes but be filthy everywhere else, where as now almost every loco I've seen on a preserved line are pristine everywhere, except the smokebox?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm

They normally tried to keep the numbers visible, even on old dirty wagons. I think the smokeboxes looked cleaner only because the colour of the paint hid the dirt better, and the dirt would be more likely to be washed off the front due to heading at speed into rain etc.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 am

here's the final result, pretty happy with how this one has turned out, its gone from a loco I was never really bothered about to a potential favourite

now for my other black 5s

not sure how I want to do these two yet, I don't really want to mess about with lining transfers, but would like to keep the "Ayrshire Yeomany" plates, so I might renumber 45116 to 45156 (or not and just move the plates over anyway cause its my layout and I can do what I want) have that loco in "clean but worked" condition

and then have the other as another well worked dirty black 5, as it isn't a northern scene without a load of these cutting about all over the place

manna

Postby manna » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:06 am

G'day Gents

A few locos were cleaned up by Enthusiast's towards the end of steam, mainly smokeboxe's, just to give them a bit of dignity, and to help with their photography.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 am

Very well done Michaela,
So good I'd amost trust you to have a go at
some of mine. That's a real compliment because I can be a
critical old git !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:59 am

Lovely looking locomotives. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:59 am

Double post.

Glencairn

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:37 am

Dad-1 wrote:Very well done Michaela,
So good I'd amost trust you to have a go at
some of mine. That's a real compliment because I can be a
critical old git !!

Geoff T.

haha wow! thank you, it has been a learning curve though, my first weathering attempts were truly awful, and my second attempts were probably worse as they were much harder to clean up, but practice makes perfect right?

glencairn wrote:Lovely looking locomotives. Well done.

Glencairn

thank you!

Been doing some more bits again today, filmed my process of weathering a goods locomotive, just got to do a few more bits then edit and then, I'm dreading this bit, narrate it...

started having a go at getting that "worked but clean" look on some locos today, here's my progress

pretty much finished this bachmann L&Y tank

whilst the gloss varnish dries on these three

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:56 am

Excellent work, Michaela.

The Lanky Tank is great. A shame it isn't running to Sovereign Street. :wink: :lol:

Glencairn

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:19 am

Didnt take any time at all for you to start producing perfect weathering! You have a very good understanding and perception of colour.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 am

glencairn wrote:Excellent work, Michaela.

The Lanky Tank is great. A shame it isn't running to Sovereign Street. :wink: :lol:

Glencairn

thank you and aha local services only for that one I'm afraid

joshv8 wrote:Didnt take any time at all for you to start producing perfect weathering! You have a very good understanding and perception of colour.

on the contrary it's been quite a long and stressful learning curve, ruined a few coaches and wagons and almost ruined a few locos along the way

here's one of my first attemps, 2009ish, I can't remember what I used but may as well have just dipped the loco in sludge, ironically was using the same reference photos as I did for my recently weathered black 5

here's one of my next attemps from around 2010, just blasted the thing with a humbrol brown aerosol, no idea what I was thinking

that class 40 since became my first experiment with using an airbursh and made me quickly realise I don't like working with enamel paints, here's it's current guise

Return to “The Workbench”