Michaela’s workbench, building buildings

What are you up to on your workbench
Michaelaface

Re: Michaela’s workbench, building buildings

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:36 am

Mountain wrote:Wow. What an impressive works area in regards to your choice of pints. It looks like you went into a model shop and asked for some paint. "Certainly madam... Which colour would you like? I want them all please including the display!" :lol:

When I had H0e, I had lots of little waggons I purchased secondhand and they included the origional shop displays. I gave all my H0e collection to a friend as he had started with 009, and by then my attention was swayed towards 0-16.5 as an easier and cheaper option to model in.

blame amazon prime for that, when I was first learning to airbrush I wasn't sure what paints to get, and then I discovered amazon quite often do good offers on the valejo ones, or have them really cheap but as add on items (you have to spend over £20 get them) and very quickly I ended up with a load of them, and space is a bit a of a premium on my desk so I thought it worthwhile to invest in a way to stack my paints vertically (although when trying to assemble it I couldnt get one section to connect properly so I tried another which worked, and then wouldn't detach so now the stand is stuck assembled incorrectly)

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 am

Wow how have I missed this - superb work! I'm another fan of that Northern style of big stone blocks heavily sooted, and you have executed the finish perfectly. I presume you've joined the elite club 8) of modellers using a silhouette cutter then? An absolute boon, makes tasks like that so much easier.

Going back a bit to smokeboxes and their colour/appearance I doubt it's got anything to do with the fact they're at the front! Generally the paint used on smokeboxes has a different chemical makeup to that used on the rest of the engine, so my guess would be something to do with that.

Anyway, having discovered your thread somewhat belatedly I shall endeavour to stay up to date, so looking forward to seeing more. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:Wow how have I missed this - superb work! I'm another fan of that Northern style of big stone blocks heavily sooted, and you have executed the finish perfectly. I presume you've joined the elite club 8) of modellers using a silhouette cutter then? An absolute boon, makes tasks like that so much easier.

Going back a bit to smokeboxes and their colour/appearance I doubt it's got anything to do with the fact they're at the front! Generally the paint used on smokeboxes has a different chemical makeup to that used on the rest of the engine, so my guess would be something to do with that.

Anyway, having discovered your thread somewhat belatedly I shall endeavour to stay up to date, so looking forward to seeing more. :)

aha thank you! and I had no idea what one was until about a year ago when I was round at my parents house and my mum gotten one for reasons I'm not quite sure of, so recently I've "borrowed" it... but if you enjoy scratch building, I'd say its worth the investment, no more blisters

and another quick update because inspiration struck me just as I was trying to sleep (typical)

now the question is what should the red, brown and grey shops be, I've already decided what the green one will be due to a reference in another thread on here

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am

A Silhouette Cutter !!
Were I 10 years younger I'd go for one, having seen what FS123 and now Michaela can
obtain from one. Me I shall remain with steel rulers and scalpels and continue with sore
digits.

You youngsters are the future and doing a damn fine job of it.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm

I have been toying with the idea myself, as I will eventually need lots of scratch built buildings and it does my nut in cutting windows. Now you have shown that even textured sheet can be be cut, I might take the plunge. What is the make and model you have?

P.S. both builds are excellent! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello,
For those of you who fancy one there is a thread on another site (no link you to find yourselves) it has a lot of good information, worth a read before parting with your hard earn'd reddies.
More is not always best
Regards
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh lets not d*ck about, here it is. Timbersurf's question has just been asked on the last page so hopefully an up-to-date answer will appear soon.

I've just got a normal Silhouette Portrait which accepts maximum width of just over A4 width, but you can feed in a maximum of 10 feet I think. The Cameo is more expensive and accepts maximum width of A3 but I've never felt constrained. That was the only choice I faced when I bought mine, but I think there might be more options now for cutting thicker materials which, if I were buying now, I'd be very interested in.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Not 100 sure what the model is but the make is cricut, not sure of the cost either, was just random chance I ended up with access to one

Also I don't try to cut through the whole sheet with it, just score the outline, so manual cutting is still needed

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks FS123

Interesting you don't cut all the way through! I did wonder!
There are a few Cricut models and I have heard others mention Brother as an option, so I think it needs a bit of research before purchase, best we start a new thread on the subject and stop hogging this one! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:17 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Thanks FS123

Interesting you don't cut all the way through! I did wonder!
There are a few Cricut models and I have heard others mention Brother as an option, so I think it needs a bit of research before purchase, best we start a new thread on the subject and stop hogging this one! :lol:

Likewise I don't cut all the way through, some people using these cutters seem to pointlessly limit themselves to 10 thou plasticard which is really necessary, you can physically fit up to 40 thou through the cutter for scribing, which can either be snapped afterwards or followed with a scalpel.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 pm

I'd actually missed that RMweb thread, didn't know they were a thing and I also had no idea what I was doing, I just saw my mum using it and thought, wonder if I could use that with my scratch builds and I've just been guessing at how to do things from then on

although after seeing the size of that thread, some of the more insane buildings on that site make a lot more sense now (specifically regarding the manchester central station layout on there, although I think most of that was made with microstrip, which just makes my brain hurt)

and regarding materials, I kinda just put them in there just to see if they'd work

another extremely useful thing I've found from using it is that I can quickly make mockups of everything just carving my designs into paper, that way I can check everything looks right before committing to premium materials, and sometimes I actually end up using the paper mock ups anyway

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am

Michaela,

I just love this approach.

"and regarding materials, I kinda just put them in there just to see if they'd work"

It's the story of my life - just get in and try it !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 am

should have this pretty much "finished" tomorrow, what do I start on next? do I attempt the station buildings for my layouts terminus? or do I carry on honing my skills with some more of these terrace house builds? (have a pretty clear idea for another terrace build in mind)

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Really liking how those terraced buildings came along. Well done!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Nice looking Terrace, Michaela. I seem to remember a while ago you showed us some kits you had made up and painted. Are you still planning on using these within your station?

Return to “The Workbench”