Lumsdonia - Wagon Load Tarpaulin Sheet Printer LIVE

What are you up to on your workbench
End2end

Re: Lumsdonia - Wagon Load Tarpaulin Sheet Printer LIVE

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Sorry Timbersurf I'm slacking.
Pdf link send to Mrs End2end for the BR ones. Will be printed tommorrow for testing.
Not sure on actual corporate fonts but may I just add a request for some GWR / GW ones when/if you get round to it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

GW and a few other big four are done, just need loading on website, probably at weekend.

If you find me pics of others you want (blue?), I will have a bash!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Heres the standard(?) blue English China Clay tarps.
And a close up of the logo itself (although tilted in this pic as if it is covering a wagon)

I have noticed some of these ECC blue tarps have other letters/numbers on the sides of them more than just the weird "D" on the ends, but cannot find a picture of them.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Shop updated, now has LMS, Cambrian and GW, plus 2 more BR

Enjoy!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Oh sod it!. After I told her yesterday I forgot to ring her indoors and remind her to print some. I hope she remembered today. :?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm

I just opened the GW pdf and some of the numbers and text are in grey.
GW tarps.jpg

Is this correct Timbersurf?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm

The oddity is that most software will allow you to rotate text through 90 degrees left or right, but it does not allow for upside down text. To overcome this, I have used a copy of the horizontal text and rotated it 180 degrees as a copy picture. It shows as white in my software and as a pdf. I can only imagine that your pdf viewer might interpret it as something different?
Update your pdf viewer or download a different one. At worst, just print as B&W and the grey will be interpreted as white.

Anyone else got the same problem?

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks Timbersurf. I won't be able to get the GW ones printed until next week but hopefully the first prints being done today will come out as expected.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Well Her indoors did remember to print the BR ones today. Unfortunatly they have come out at 46.5mm by 80mm as she didn't have time so just blindly printed them and will try next week to get the correct size printed.
Luckily you've put the size they should be on the pdf which helped me when I measured the BR printed ones to see what size they should actually be.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 pm

I got the GW tarps printed at the correct size today and used 2 different sized wagons to try them on.
The Hornby Great Wheal Prosper wagon, probably my smallest wagon at 70mm buffer to buffer and a Bachmann china clay wagon at 76mm.
Both of these wagons are 5 plank wagons.
TarpsA.jpg
TarpsA.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 411 times

I have not secured them on yet as can be seen by the loose end flaps but here's some pictures
TarpsB.jpg

TarpsC.jpg
TarpsC.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 411 times

TarpsD.jpg
TarpsD.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 411 times

I screwed one of them up more as can be seen. Although screwing them up has left some whiting of the paper I think I can easily hide it by dry brushing black on.
I did try to use a permanent marker on one of the tarps to black out the rear in a small test area where the tiny numbers with the line are on the side but it blacked out the white on the front side.
I did use the permanent marker around the cut edges and across the rear face corners and round the sides to look like a picture frame making sure to not draw where the tiny numbers with the line are on the sides after the test.

What would you suggest to (prototypically or not) secure them Timbersurf?
I do have tiny chain if that's applicable.
I must say they are a great way to instantly transform the look of a wagon from full/covered to empty. :!:
Thanks Timbersurf. :mrgreen:
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

I am guessing you printed them with a laser printer (given how shiney they are). Laser printers use an almost plastic type of ink (powder is melted and then applied to paper) and will always "crack" when folded. Inkjet printer ink is a liquid which will "soak" into the paper so will not so easily "crack" after scrunching!
Tarps were never held on with chains. They used 1/2 inch rope. You could use sewing thread, as a wrap around, or glue to the underside of the tarp and then tie off under the wagon, to simulate rope fastened to the edges by eyelets in the tarp.
I have not tried it yet, but coating the whole tarp with a matt varnish such as 'modge podge' (might need a few coats) should 'glue' the corners and make it stiff and hold its shape (then no thread required), use rubber bands to hold its shape for the first coat.

Don't forget you're low loaders and flats! Just glue a few different sizes of blocks together (wood, plastic, card) and shape the tarp over them.

If the tarp does not keep its shape, perhaps tin foil could be glued to the underside of the print (as a laminate), giving it a more 'stay put' consistency?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 am

Just to add to this excellent thread —. A way of having different tarps to the new

A tarpaulin over a half loaded wagon would dip in the middle. If it rained on the journey a pool of water would settle there. Even after it had dried, a stain would remain on the tarp. As a tarpaulin was used over time, the lettering etc. began to fade.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:31 pm

glencairn wrote:A way of having different tarps to the new
A tarpaulin over a half loaded wagon would dip in the middle. If it rained on the journey a pool of water would settle there. Even after it had dried, a stain would remain on the tarp. As a tarpaulin was used over time, the lettering etc. began to fade.
Glencairn

It has also been mentioned in another forum that black looks a little too new. EVERYTHING is variable in the software, so producing dark grey versions is easy and will be my next mission. For "wear 'n' tear", stains, bleached spots, fading, etc, is too much to do in the software and would come out very NOT random. So would be best done, like any weathering, on the printed sheet, simple brown wash applied light and heavy would give best results.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
glencairn wrote:A way of having different tarps to the new
Glencairn

It has also been mentioned in another forum that black looks a little too new. EVERYTHING is variable in the software, so producing dark grey versions is easy and will be my next mission. For "wear 'n' tear", stains, bleached spots, fading, etc, is too much to do in the software and would come out very NOT random. So would be best done, like any weathering, on the printed sheet, simple brown wash applied light and heavy would give best results.

Exactly, TimberSurf. I am not arguing with you. Far from it. I think your tarpaulins are excellent. All I was meaning was; once someone has printed the tarps they could individualise them by 'staining them' where water had been, or fading the lettering a little as if they had been used often.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:20 pm

TimberSurf wrote: So would be best done, like any weathering, on the printed sheet, simple brown wash applied light and heavy would give best results.

Although I've cut them out of the sheet already I'll give it a go with the brown wash instead of the black wash I was going to use. :idea:
Hopefully this should take the shine down too on the laser printed versions.

Just for more randomness can more than 4 alternative numbers fit on the one page pdf if there's space?
Sorry Timbersurf more work for you. :oops:

Off to find some brown paint.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “The Workbench”