Modifying a Hornby Railcar.

What are you up to on your workbench
swiftbeam

Modifying a Hornby Railcar.

Postby swiftbeam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Just bringing my info over from somewhere else to share with you as I'm no longer there!

I decided to remotor, fit a flywheel, add Buffer and roof detail and repaint the roof of my Hornby Railcar. It is the latest Hornby version and was quite good anyway, but more is more :D

The flywheel was turned up on the lathe and one worm was board out to fit the flywheel boss, the other worm as a straight fit to the other end of the motor. The motor swap was done with very carful packing and gluing of differing thicknesses of plastic card until the motor was in the 'sweat spot'.The chassis was then cut away to clear the flywheel. She will not run on anything less than R3 now, but I hate tight curves anyway and try not to put curves into my layouts anyway! Is it me or does the motor unit now look like an engine and flywheel? I know it is, but you know what I mean.v

The buffer beam detail is two packs of Hornby 08 buffer details, info taken from Didcot. I cut off the original 'D' loops as they look awful and not needed for me! Hornby suggest a hook recess, but in reality, you can cut that completely out so the recess is full, showing the black chassis behind. This gives the correct recess for the hook :D

I trimmed off 90% of the torpedo vents as they are totally wrong for this model and drilled a 1.mm hole in the middle of each vent. Then flatted the whole roof down with 2000 grit wet paper until all marks and paint of the old vents were gone. The holes were then opened up and the correct GWR short shell ventilators were added. I used Humbrol mid grey for the roof colour.

IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG

GeraldH

Re: Modifying a Hornby Railcar.

Postby GeraldH » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 am

That's an impressive piece of model engineering :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 pm

One thing that will improve the model is to make up the missing window pillar from suitably sized plastic section that is merely printed on the side cab windows as a black line.

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:One thing that will improve the model is to make up the missing window pillar from suitably sized plastic section that is merely printed on the side cab windows as a black line.

That's a good idea, I could make the whole 4 sided shape and plant it onto the glass having prepainted it ready brown :)

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm

swiftbeam wrote:
Mike Parkes wrote:One thing that will improve the model is to make up the missing window pillar from suitably sized plastic section that is merely printed on the side cab windows as a black line.

That's a good idea, I could make the whole 4 sided shape and plant it onto the glass having prepainted it reddy brown :)

Return to “The Workbench”