Johns very varied workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Allegheny1600

Johns very varied workbench

Postby Allegheny1600 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi All,
As used to be the introduction to "Stingray" or some similar Gerry Anderson catoon, "Anything can happen in the next half hour"!
Well, anything can happen on here! What modelling I have managed to do is all too often for other people, as indeed is this 'piece' but for once, I managed to photograph the process.
My club (Leigh) has a rather nice colliery layout called "Bickersleigh", a contraction of Bickershaw and Leigh and one of my dear colleagues, Roy had been trying to make a curved turnout for the hidden sidings - out of old pieces of set track! To be fair to him, he had done a good job - given what he had to work with.
However, the starting point was simply not good enough (who on earth had suggested using set track?) so I decided to build a working turnout from scratch, using copperclad and rescued code 100 as it had to match the remainder of the layout. Due to the position of this point, it is critical to the operation of the layout. All this and there is just barely five weeks until our exhibition so I couldn't hang around.
I had no time to mess around with 'Templot' and I can't use it anyway so I simply made the measurements required by taking a 'rubbing' of the old point by pressing hard all over a sheet of A4 paper!
Once at home, I added some additional working onto this;

Really rough, eh?
I didn't even have any 4mm copperclad sleeper strip to hand so I used 7mm stuff instead. I actually thought it might be thicker and help match the original Peco code 100.

About an hours filing produced a reasonable crossing vee;
I stuck the sleepers to the paper with Pritstick and left them overnight then started soldering the vee into position;

I had quite a bit of trouble making and getting the wing rails for the vee set into position, I don't know what I did wrong there but carried on with then setting the switches into position, from where I could then calculate where the stock rails fit;
A couple of steps later and the point was more or less ready!

I used 'marigold' gloves while I scrubbed all the flux off (in the sink, with boiling water) and of course, safety glasses while I gapped the sleepers and it was ready to be taken to the club. I gave it a quick test by rolling a selection of wagons through beforehand and thankfully even that big gap at the vee, doesn't seem to be a problem (fingers crossed).
All I could get done at club was lift the old point and fit the new but it seems to work okay. Just have to motorise it and wire it now.

What do you think of my first point, please? I had a group tuition at the Manchester MRS where I got less than half a P4 point built and that didn't work and that's all I've ever done (apart from plain track). My only special track building tools were a code 100 roller gauge and the American RP25 'Standards Gage'
Cheers,
John.
My club's 2018 exhibition: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=52821
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50673

Ex-Pat

Re: Johns very varied workbench

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 pm

I'd be more than happy with that as a first attempt - even as subsequent attempts.

Look forward to seeing it painted up.

Edit: Of course I'm looking forward in vain to "painted up" as it's in the hidden sidings area!

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi mate,
You've guessed correctly, although it may end up with the rest of this area, being painted black to avoid any reflections etc.

On my "Bickersleigh" thread, you could catch a glimpse of the 'Managers office' that I have been slowly building over some time now.
I thought you might like to see how I went about my very first scratchbuild of a building. (many years ago, I built an N gauge 'iron ore' tippler wagon but that's a different story).

Oh jeepers! Looks like this all started some two years ago when my mate Darren presented me with a photo of the building concerned;

As you can see, I then made a simple sketch drawing of what it might look like in 4mm scale.

I bought a couple of packs of Alan Austin (Ambis Engineering) Midland Railway window etches and got busy snipping out parts and soldering them together to make suitable sized window frames.

This is shown on the first abandoned attempt at building in thick card, turned out too difficult to deal with.

My rough and ready soldering!

My second attempt used thin card, much better but rather flimsy, I had to bear in mind, this is Leigh model railway club with a few ham fisted folk as members!

After a scout around the club rooms and seeing how Steve, our chairman made buildings, I settled upon some thin perspex sheet I found. Tough stuff and of course, ready made glazing for the windows. My Olfa cutter (squawker) made relatively easy work of this material though so I soon ended up with this.

I turned these parts into a box

Some other thick plastic made a roof. I think this plastic actually came from an old tray or something, turned out a little soft but it still does the job.

Now to start on the walls.

I marked out the various window openings and cut out with a nice new scalpel blade.

The window sills were simply cut down plastic strip from 'Evergreen', happily the thickness of this was almost exactly one 'brick' thick so was easy to allow for.

The painted brass windows appeared to glue easily to the back of the wall, using EMA plastic weld - it's the only stuff that I found would glue the perspex.

Repeat this procedure several times for all the sides and ends and it's looking a lot more complete now;

Now to tackle the roof and maybe (given time) some details and weathering.
Cheers,
John.
My club's 2018 exhibition: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=52821
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50673

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm

That looks great, certainly better than my efforts at buildings

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Man, that's a rufty tufty building! No danger of a bodgers fingers crushing that one! Looking good though!
Just not sure why the roof is smaller than the walls?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “The Workbench”