Siddington Junction Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Alexander Court

Siddington Junction Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Works

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello all!

So I've finally decided to chronicle the non-layout side of my dealings with model railways, that is, my workbench. I've finally managed to finalise a map of the region. The map can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81741514@ ... ateposted/ And while I could elaborate on it now, I won't, I'll save that for when I am doing my next layout thread. But we shall start with Siddington Junction, the main hub of the railways on the Island which sees traffic from almost every company on the Island but also sees stock that is not in traffic passing through on the way to the Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Works which is located between the Junction and Town stations.

So what is happening down at the works? Well one of the recent jobs has been the overhaul of a 3f tender locomotive which has been a hard worker in the past for the Lourlan, Beaglington, Siddington & Crawford Railway (the LBSCR) for many years but has now been sold to the Muddleston and Siddington Light Railway (the MSLR) to help with an increase in traffic which has swamped the MSLR's aging little 0-4-0 tank.

Here she is before work started:
Image1 by Alexander Court
Image2 by Alexander Court

And here she is in the paint shop:
Image4 by Alexander Court
Image3 by Alexander Court
Image5 by Alexander Court

With the paint dry she was ready to roll out for some photographs for the local press and for the shareholders to see their latest investment:
Image6 by Alexander Court
Image7 by Alexander Court
Image8 by Alexander Court
Image9 by Alexander Court
Image10 by Alexander Court
Image11 by Alexander Court

and here she is on display:
Image12 by Alexander Court, on Flickr

And that is all for now from My Workbench, The Works, Siddington Junction.

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Re: Siddington Junction Locomotive, Carriage & Wagon Works

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 pm

More News from The Works, or photos...

The MSLR's new 3f arrived on shed and was captured by a few eager spotters although here she is hidden by the Muddleston and Siddington Light Railway's coaches:

From a slightly higher elevation:

As if you could see through shed walls:

Back outside, now the coaches have been shunted away:

Staged with the companies coaches (I really need some more, wish i hadn't sold them now):

Managed to wrangle some Triang Insulfish vans off ebay which came with a free brakevan:

After returning from passenger duties the 3f took on a short goods train:

That''s all from The Works today, will try work on more frequent posts but my two under two take up twice the hours in the day xD

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

Looks like you'll be ready for "Guy" the gunpowder van
when he arrives in a few weeks time.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Looks like you'll be ready for "Guy" the gunpowder van
when he arrives in a few weeks time.

Geoff T.

Thanks xD
I'll have to tell the foreman to get his workers to keep the place tidy!

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 pm

News from The Works, a tank engine for overhaul for the Beaggleskkelly Colliery Co.

This little loco took my eye on Hattons in the preowned section. Being sold as a poorly runner I wasn't going to miss out for £5. Here she is on arrival:
Owning one of these already I knew what was causing it to run poorly, all I had to do was unscrew the baseplate, clean the contacts inside and reassemble and hey presto! She runs, though needs running in as she is a bit stiff having been unable to run for lack of power for what I assume to be a fair amount of time.

And here she is after being overhauled and repainted in the Colliery livery:

Those who knew my previous layouts will know I have another Jouef tank which I purchased second hand. The back story I have generated for the two is that originally they were built to a more continental design for export to the colonies to build new lines and shunt resources, a set of five tanks in total were made in the batch, these two have by chance ended up passing through various subsequent ownerships to both be on the same Island and by coincidence both were in for overhaul and reunited at The Works.
As you can see since they initially hit the rails they have gained their own different identities. 'Mitch' as this latest one is called is merely a repaint while E.R.M. has smoothened tank sides, the forward dome removed and a few other subtle changes. E.R.M. stands for Ermsdon Rock Mining who own her, she runs their workers to and from a private platform at the main Ermsdon station up past a few halts to a platform at the quarry and then runs up and down all day with the wagons to an exchange siding at Ermsdon.

Need to resize photos of 'Mitch' on the shed diorama and get them uploaded for next time.
Who knows, maybe the other three tanks of their batch may turn up on my lines in future?
That's all for now :)
Alex

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am

Nice story-line, and modifications between the pair.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Nice story-line, and modifications between the pair.

Thanks, hopefully will get to do other variations when I rescue another one of these tanks, I love the way they free roll slightly after cutting power.

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Time for those photos I said I'd get uploaded of 'Mitch' on shed. Not much to say about it so I will just post the photos.

That's all for now while I search for a photo of the latest entrant to The Works.

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm

The latest project to enter the works, a Class 110 DMU.

(Some shots on 2012's Tonglington Vale layout)

This two car unit was gifted to me by a forum member in 2011 as a poorly/nonrunner which had issues with a slipping driving cog and a constantly derailing trailer car, the cog was glued in place and so the motor does power the unit but the issues with the trailing car were never really resolved. The motor would struggle to haul both cars around the layout and finally after years of considering resolving these issues once and for all I decided at its latest overhaul that changes were needed.
(Some shot's on 2016's Beaglington-On-Sea Layout)

The DMU has a story itself for my lines. it's called 'Clancy' as it was purchased privately second hand by Mr. Clancy, who ran the factory in Muddleston on the Tonglington Layout and also owns a chain of small breweries in several of the Island's towns, in order that he could make sure his staff were getting to work on time, the unit is operated by the TVR or Tonglington Vale Railway and is also used on occasional work excursions to the seaside as in the following pictures.

The TVR themselves are no longer just confined to the Vale of Tonglington but run trains all over the Island (their liveries being locos and stock I own in BR green, BR blue/intercity and also a custom purple). What will happen to the struggling two car Class 110? You'll have to wait for my next upload to see :P

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Class 110 into the works

Using the tools to hand, a craft knife and an old kitchen knife I hacked away at the two bodies using my eyesight and guess work to judge the placement of the cut, resulting in this:

Some filing was required to smoothen the ends to be more straight but I had come across a slight issue. It turned out that if I wanted the cab interior in the rear of the unit I would need the new cab end to sit further out.
As you can see there is a gap when checking clearences, luckily in order to get the halves joined I only needed a match's thickness extra material needed to make the join....so thats what I used!

I joined them with matchsticks and used this point to create the engine exhaust mounting points and painted the section black and added roof weathing from the exhaust.

I also took the time to paint the formerly inner side bufferbeam red and touched the former driving end's faded red buffer beam up in the same shade too. The body is the wrong way round to the chassis in this shot.

That's all for now, next time there will be pics of the newly refurbished 'Clancy' out on trials.

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 am

'Clancy' the Class 110 starts running trials

The newly finished dmu had to wait to be released for trials where she was snapped by a few camera carrying spotters.

Clancy was then moved from the shed to the diesel fuelling point before final checks and departure.

Rumours spread quickly and some spotters were lucky enough to make it to Neptune's Halt in time to get photos.

And finally she was snapped at the station in Siddington Town, ready to set off back to the works for the rest of the run and to be certified as fit to run.

And that's all for now while I sort out pics of the other goings on at The Works.
Apologies for the darkness of the images, lighting here is poor and I didn't have time to edit them brighter.

Alex.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 am

I like the little Jouef tank engines. You have repainted the one really nicely. Haha. You'd probably be good at painting locos in 7mm narrow gauge.
Strange your DMU lacked power. Normally they pull like a labrador crossed with a spaniel. The trailing car derailing tended to happen on UK made DMU's and the common cause were the wheel back to back measurements being out.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:26 am

While Storm Ophelia was raging a new locomotive was taking shelter at Siddington Works after being treated for some sort of power transmission issue. This is a photo from the works report which shows what they found.

From outside spotters braving the elements were left studying their ABCs to find out who this visitor was:

Next day she was turned on a table and left outside to breath a little:

It is of course Helmingham Hall, at last, and once fixed she was sent off down the line to Dangean for a test of repairs:

That's all for now folks.

Alex

Return to “The Workbench”